Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Kitkat44
      Participant

Anyone know of my children would immediately loose their school places if we went to a temporary place?
      Mine are older and I’m so worried about messing up their school life. My youngest has not attended for (detail removed by Moderator) weeks with anxiety, Covid the half term and I’m now under pressure to get her in or face fines.
      Anyone with older ones left, what if they don’t want to come with me?
      X

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello Kitkat44,

Your children should not immediately loose their school places if you need to temporarily withdraw them due to having to flee domestic abuse.

However, some of the time, children will be re-enrolled in a new school within the area of the temporary accommodation. For example, if you were to go into refuge in a different area, the refuge can help enroll the children into a school in the new area, this can be a long or short term arrangement.

All schools should have policies and procedures when it comes to domestic abuse so it may be worth speaking with the school about this, if it is safe to do so.

Take care and keep posting,
      Lisa

iliketea
      Participant

I dont know the answer but did tell the school when I planned to leave. Sorry not helpful but wanted to send you strength and say well done with all you’re doing for you and the kids. My experience the school were really supportive and helpful at the time and afterwards in terms of supporting the kids. Definitely speak to them if you’re safe to. Also, with covid situation I am sure they are all able to provide online learning opportunities anyway so surely that could be an option if you weren’t going to return asap. Must be a way they can support your kids, and definitely tell them so you don’t pay fines, if they know the situation, they have to understand. xx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content