Viewing 52 reply threads
  • Author
      Lavenderrose
      Participant

Hello, I’ve posted a lot lately but my life is unraveling rapidly!
      Where do I stand on getting items from the rental property I once shared with my ex? He has advised my parents that I cannot go to the house without his permission even though I am still a legal tenant.
      I was under the impression I can?

Lavenderrose
      Participant

Also joint bank account. Can I just close the account without his say so as we are in dispute ?

Twisted Sister
      Participant

I dont see any reason why you cant walk straight in and get your belongings.

You still have a key? I wouldn’t let him know, but go and gather your stuff.

If there’s likely to be a problem, I would advise the police of your situation and let them know when you plan to go, so they can put a marker on your phone number/address.

Joint account, no, you both have signed up to that, so legally you are bound to it.

You need to speak to the bank and explain the abuse, they have special teams to help. They can advise you what they can do once they’ve looked at your account.

I hope you manage to get it all sorted safely.

Warmest wishes

TS

Lavenderrose
      Participant

Thanks TS!
      I do have a key still, I know as a landlord you can’t just let yourself in but I am still a legal tenant but I can’t live there currently. I want to be able to collect clothes etc
      Can I not just freeze the account?

KIP.
      Participant

Yes you can freeze the account without the other joint account holders permission. You put it into dispute, This means neither party can use the account and run up debt or remove money or use it for direct debits etc. This happened to me. I also believe either party can close the account if it’s in credit and not frozen. To have your name removed or his name removed requires both signatures. Ring the bank and speak to them quickly before more debt is accrued. My ex froze the account meaning I needed his signature to get my name off. It was a nightmare. He could have just closed it.

Lavenderrose
      Participant

Yes I tried to get my name removed from the account but they refused and as you said I have to get his signature. What happens if there is money in the account?

KIP.
      Participant

If the account is not frozen then either party can remove the money. My ex emptied the account then froze it. Once the account is frozen neither party can remove the money without the others permission. I wasn’t even allowed to removed my name from a frozen account that was in credit! My ex knew this and it caused me so much pain. Eventually I had to get my solicitor to deal with it as part of my divorce. My advice is if you still have access to the account then empty it. That way you’re in control of the money.

KIP.
      Participant

Once you’ve emptied it then close it. Make sure you deal with any direct debit that affect you. Once my ex emptied the account then froze the account (and didn’t tell me) all my direct debits bounced and again caused me problems. He knew this. Even his child was affected by clubs that were direct debits. They really don’t care. Your bank should have a vulnerable person department.

Lavenderrose
      Participant

Thanks kip. I’ve cancelled most of the dd in my name, but the rent comes out of that account also and I in normal circumstances I’d be liable for rent but it’s my parents property.
      Will it look bad on me if I empty the account? There’s not a lot in there now.
      He’s still trying to bully and control by demanding the red book. He’s taken everything related to our daughter and is saying he’ll be attending any of her hospital appointments that come up x

diymum@1
      Participant

it might be best to get this drawn up in court ie you take your daughter to the appointment and he gets the correspondence? unless its related to this situation off course. id say thats fair xx

KIP.
      Participant

If there’s not a lot in there then I wouldn’t bother. My reasoning was if there’s loads of money then if you removed it then you would be in control of that money. So could use it for rent or your child or give him half in the divorce. Once he has that money you’ll never see it again. Make sure he cannot run up debt in both your names. The only way forward is to get legal contact in place which states when he can and can’t attend appointments. Otherwise he’s taking over everything and using it to control you x

Lavenderrose
      Participant

I feel so trapped still, he’s demanding a lot refusing to give stuff of mine (paperwork and a letter relating to our child) until he can have the red book to make a copy. I know that if I give it over he won’t give it back. I can’t go to the house without permission, it’s never ending!
      The fact of the matter is I haven’t stopped him seeing her just limited it a bit due to he erratic behaviour. I feel like I can’t win. I feel he has all the knowledge from his solicitor and I don’t yet because legal aid is still an issue (application can take time).
      He’s basically saying legally he due to parental responsibility he can have 50/50 but of course that’s not practical due to him working. He acts like he’s untouchable 😕

KIP.
      Participant

Keep trying Rights of Women for free legal advice. Most solicitors will give you a free half hour session so you can ask a few of them. Do t believe a word your ex says. It’s designed to bully and intimidate. I don’t know what the red book is but can’t you copy it and give him a copy?

Lavenderrose
      Participant

You’re right Kip that’s totally what he’s trying to do. The red book is the infant record from birth, he wants it x

Twisted Sister
      Participant

The resident parent should keep the red book and thats you.

Why does he want it?

Whats the big deal, i dont understand?!

Is he planning on taking your child to the gp/health visitor?

Or trying to get access to something that he cant otherwise?

Deeply suspicious.

He cannot blackmail you over this though,and yiu can ask the police to accompany you.

All they will want to know is that you have rights of access.

Warmest wishes

TS

Lavenderrose
      Participant

Sentimental value to him apparently? Has all original hospital letters etc regarding our daughter, he’s kept them! Not sure what his game is. All very strange behaviour but I guess it’s to always keep the upper hand on me?! X

diymum@1
      Participant

its like hes showing you hes keeping tabs on how your looking after her? this is what my ex did made out i wa\snt coping when i was. its to make you feel like a c**p mum – its to undermine you. with this type off dad it is a sign that you have to keep hold off the reigns and keep contact to the minimum. it sounds harsh but its much better for your child. TS is right your the resident parent you have more say thats a fact xx he could go to the health visitor and ask for a duplicate red book if he was being reasonable thats what id do. he might want to say your denying him his access to the records for your child – i thin he will try to make you look unreasonable so you have to be one step ahead. id personally make the enquiry for him about the book and say to him i found out you can request a duplicate and leave the ball in his court – better still get someone else to relay this to him if you can. it keeps you right xxxx

Lavenderrose
      Participant

He said he wants it so he can make copies which wasn’t what was agreed with my parents. He can have copies of it no problem at all but I feel if I hand it over that’s another thing he’ll have a hold on me about. I am trying to keep contact at a minimum but he’s constantly pushing all the time. Do I look unreasonable?
      I’m having a lot of self doubt today, I still keep thinking its all been in my head. If it was bad how come I didn’t realise sooner and leave? He said to my parents (detail removed by moderator) – this was (detail removed by moderator) after leaving and I was trying to be reasonable by giving access. At this point he was begging me to take him back but he soon changed. I was soooo careful not to upset him, I felt on edge for sure but tried not to let that show to him.
      I cant focus at all today x

KIP.
      Participant

There’s too much going on for you to focus. That’s why the sooner something legal is in place, the better for everyone. Then you all know where you stand and he cannot keep changing the goal posts. His demands will just get more outrageous so stick to your own plan and ignore him.

diymum@1
      Participant

no wonder – god im sorry your having all this with him. yes you look reasonable but you can only be reasonable in a safe way with someone abusive. i learned if they ask for the full whack with anything give them a tenth. it shuts them up and youve tried. the thing is there requests tend to be rediculous. why dont you scan the red book and get someone to drop it off to him? xx you will doubt yourself but dont. abuse puts us into a tail spin and when they use our kids its the worst feeling ever xxxx youll be ok

diymum@1
      Participant

put it this way if you give in to his demands the demands will become relentless and insurmountable/un acheivable. keep in mind its about whats best for your little girl – he is abusive and hes better kept away ie at arms length if you can stand strong xx your her mum x

Lavenderrose
      Participant

I’ve done copies of anything that is relevant to our daughter so hopefully that should be that. He’s supposed to be giving me written consent for a holiday but I have a feeling he’ll withhold it from just out of spite.
      He’s demands are already so off the wall I’ve never known anything like it? Is this how all separated fathers act?? I’m stunned!
      I’m going to get a friend here as back up when our daughter is next handed over to him by my mum. He’s such a nasty man x

diymum@1
      Participant

no separated dads dont act like this but abusive ones do. its all about winning remember xx he will play dirty so be ready xx if he withholds consent that paints a picture to the court. if you give her over to him the courts will think your not too concerned thats the only thing – i have to be honest – it will be in there corner that you are ok to handover in public through your mum and unsupervised – thats what will be ordered xxxx

diymum@1
      Participant

the reason i know is this was used against me – you were ok to give her to us now your saying its not working? (due to him being abusive infront of her – because they dont care) now you want supervised? i had to really fight from then to cut the contact down xx it was a big mistake

Lavenderrose
      Participant

Oh god I’m worried now! I’m dammed if I do and dammed if I don’t. Mum wants to call the police if he’s confrontational and aggressive. We’re both feeling anxious at the prospect as we are convinced he’ll be annoyed that he can’t have the red book. My poor little girl has no idea what’s going on.
      She’s definitely an anxious sensitive child as a result but I’m hopeful she’s on the mend. Would it be a good idea to speak to the health visitor about things? I’m a little concerned that she’s regressed so much with eating and a few other things x*x

diymum@1
      Participant

yeh that would be an idea to get the nv involved. i dont want to put you into panic – legally you can wait until an order is in place before you start the contact. if your mums scared you guys should be put in this position – its your right to be safe. hes pressuring you but dont let him xxxx

diymum@1
      Participant

shouldnt sorry – when does this happen? could the lawyer write out and say contact will commence when everything has been looked into first – safety wise – from what ive read and had myself when dv is involved this is the best way xxxx how are you going to feel when shes away do you trust him ? xxxx

Lavenderrose
      Participant

Re contact there’s a lot of mixed options on it, I don’t want to be made to look bad. As it is I’m doubtful my claims of the relationship being emotionally abusive would be believed by the court anyway. He’ll deny it all. I have no proof. He still has a massive hold over me mentally as I’m scared of his temper and unpredictable behaviour plus crazy demands.
      He’ll only have her for a few hours.x*x

diymum@1
      Participant

my ex denied it all too. it sounds like this will take a long time – but he will show his true colours and when he does youll have enough evidence to draw this in x*x

Lavenderrose
      Participant

If he’s not in a good mood at pick up because I don’t think he’ll be happy about me not handing over the book. Do I get my mum to deny him having our daughter in that instance? It’s just so not fair that he gets to be like this and we have to all just take what he throws at us? X*x

diymum@1
      Participant

he might kick off I guess so on one hand this is good evidence you might want another bystander to see this. he might play it cool if hes clever. I wouldn’t bow to him because he will become more demanding. I did this for a long time and tbh it traumatised my daughter and me so I wouldn’t advise it- he started to throw objects at my face infront of my child xxxx much love diymum

Lavenderrose
      Participant

I won’t be doing the handover but I’m so so anxious about it xx

Lavenderrose
      Participant

Yet more explosive behaviour and threats to not return our daughter. Outrageous demands from the red book to passport and birth certificate! I can’t take this anymore!
      Logged it with the police x

KIP.
      Participant

This is your future unless you stop all contact. Don’t give her to an angry man who threatens not to return her. Who scares your mother and you. Take is threats very seriously. Why the passport? Is he planning on taking her to another country. Does he have links to another country?

Lavenderrose
      Participant

No links to another country but I think he’d take her away on holiday without my knowledge and maybe not return her to me. He is just too unpredictable x

diymum@1
      Participant

this is horrible – but also your get out trump card – contact centre for supervised access all the way now. its best for you all. he sounds dangerous to be honest. don’t underestimate him. threatening and abusive behaviour that was all it took for us. third neutral party for emails maybe not your mum xxxx hope you guys are ok xxxx

KIP.
      Participant

This post from DIYmum might shed some light on court and your rights meantime….

You are completing this form because there are allegations that the child(ren) listed in this form may have suffered or be at risk of suffering domestic abuse, violence/abuse.

“Domestic violence/abuse” means any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional) between adults who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.
      The Children Act 1989 defines the following terms as:
      “Harm” means ill treatment or damage to health and development, including, for example, damage suffered from seeing or hearing the ill treatment of another.
      “Development” means physical, intellectual, emotional, social or behavioural development.
      “Health” means physical or mental health.
      “Ill-treatment” includes sexual abuse and forms of ill-treatment which are not physical.

diymum@1
      Participant

if I hadn’t stopped the contact for this reason my daughter would have needed long term therapy – for life I believe. don’t let this continue – I can say we had to inevitably stop contact even from supervised. I watched my daughter playing yesterday – shes so happy now in comparison to what she was. its a hard choice but the right one xxxx

diymum@1
      Participant

I should say your not letting him he needs to be stopped – legally xx

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Please tell hv gp police all this, how very scared you are.

This has to stop. You are still living your life under the threat of his abuse.

There is no reason you have to hand over your child to him with such massive concerns!

Write your concerns. Tell him, this has to stop, him bullying you over the red book, its over and contact is over. Warn the police this is what you are doing and how scared you are of his reaction.

Emotional can turn physical in a split second when resistence is met.

This is what you live under the threat of still, despite being apart.

Take back control of your life, and keep it.

Don’t let the police tell you to comply with him either if thats the reaponse you get.

diymum@1
      Participant

the police might say they don’t get involved with contact issues but if you tell them your concerned for you and your childs safety in general in facing him and the threat off abduction they will help xx

KIP.
      Participant

Yep. Do not downplay his behaviour. You’ve become used to it and probably minimise it. You need to overplay your fears. You are in fear for your safety and that of your child. You fear it will escalate into physical abuse, you’re in constant fear for your safety and hers. You fear he will abduct her, he’s already threatened not to return her. He’s been aggressive towards your mother. She fears for her safety. The police could speak to him and perhaps caution him over his behaviour. If you do another handover then secretly record him.

KIP.
      Participant

Always speak to domestic abuse police. Get one person as a point of contact if you can.

diymum@1
      Participant

I told them we were both petrified and we were xx

Lavenderrose
      Participant

Thanks ladies for your wonderful comments and great advice 💗
      Given all of the behaviour surrounding handovers and contact in general which I have had to step away from it appears that prohibitive steps is the way forward. If I let her go with him next time then that would look bad for me. He had shown that even with the police present he cannot control his agitated state. I am doing more damage it seems by supposedly doing the right thing. I dread to think how he’ll react to no contact! That scares me x

KIP.
      Participant

You can control no contact. You can block all means and every time he tries to contact you, you can report him for harassment and stalking to the police. You can message him or get your solicitor to write a formal message telling him that if he contacts you either directly or indirectly you will report him to the police and ask for his arrest. He’s going to be angry because he’s losing control and the means to directly abuse you again. But he’s angry anyway. This way you don’t have to put up with his anger x it is scary, that’s why he does it. To intimidate and bully. If he’s done this in front of the police then they should have acted x

Lavenderrose
      Participant

I’m so apprehensive about saying no more contact. I just don’t want anymore stress or upset for my family xx

KIP.
      Participant

You’re going to have years of stress for your family if this continues. Especially your child. It can’t go on this way. She will be traumatised by his behaviour. His behaviour is child abuse. I know it’s frightening. That’s what he’s counting on.

Lavenderrose
      Participant

He wants my solicitors details, do we have to comply and send it? X

KIP.
      Participant

Do you have his solicitors details? You can ask for his and pass them onto yours. The solicitors will have to converse with each other so it will get things moving if he’s being serious. He might just be wanting to know if you’re serious.

diymum@1
      Participant

no the solicitor will be in touch. with no contact he cant do anything – what can he do? he can contact you thru his solicitor or the third party but he wont be able to intimidate you xx not any more – you now have the law to protect you xx

diymum@1
      Participant

its your right not to put up with his abuse xxxx

Lavenderrose
      Participant

Didn’t give him the solicitor information, he’ll find out soon enough. I am fully expecting him to just turn up here on a previously arranged day for him to have contact that’s obviously been cancelled now x

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content