Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Twisted Sister
      Participant

Every day women’s and children’s voices are quietened, shut down, ignored, and talked over.

The results are catastrophic; the laws should reflect the reality of the life changing devastation that is da,and protect women and child from it.

At the moment it’s broken in so many ways by the people paid highly to support it.

Women and children need their voices heard, supporting and creating change.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Amen to that, 💞💞

Anonymous
      Inactive

I quite agree. It seems to getting worse of late, as every time women talk about our needs we seem to be told we are not inclusive enough.

fizzylem
      Participant

The law needs to evolve for sure. Some men just use court to attack with and continue to abuse the mother and as a result the child and mother suffers. It’s too focused on the father’s rights atm and less so on the child’s wellbeing.

And why the hell should anyone who has suffered DA be forced into a situation where she comes face to face with the abuser, even cross examined if he reps himself in some cases? This is mad. Traumatic even for some.

Sadly those with power and influence often decide what is best for the masses; when actually what needs to happen is discussion with the folk in the know, could say this for anything, DA, NHS services, school and so on; there is not enough ‘listening’ is there.

fizzylem
      Participant

I remember having a conversation with a friend about the London riots, she just couldnt understand it, and I could kind of get it, we both agreed that the bahaviour was wrong, but I could see that it was the result of discontent and frustration among the young people, as they felt they didn’t have a voice. The only real way to get a voice is through educataion and success, as people listen to you then, but for some people this just isn’t an option – they still need a voice though hey – hence the riots.

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Fizzylem, yes, sadly the whole basis of DA is putting women and children in such fear and secrecy and self-doubt, that when we do speak it might be the first time the dark secrets are shared (and the feeling of betrayal can be huge) so vital no matter how quiet its beholden to the listener to listen harder.

The policies around perps questioning their victims had changed to prevent this,I believe.

Some changes for good.

Also commitment from the pm for every council to provide secure housing provision for DA survivors. We’ll see. Keeping everything crossed, but I hope they are kept as women-only spaces (as men in refuge was terrifying).

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content