This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

  • Author
  • #67951

    Hi everyone, I finally found the courage to phone woman’s aid and ask help. After being turned down from many refugees because they didn’t had space available. I finally found one but turned out I couldn’t claim house in benefits as I have never worked in the Uk. When I came here two years ago I was heavily pregnant and than have been a full time mother. Didn’t need to work as my husband was covering the expenses. I’m here with a regular visa and my son is British citizen. I can’t believe that. I have no hope. Isn’t woman’s aid supposed to help woman’s in need? All I got as an answer was “if you’re in danger call 999”. I’m hopeless and emotionally abused and bullied and now I have no choice but live with him? How about all the illegal immigrants that come here and are in the refugees, they haven’t work or pay any council tax here! Sorry for my frustration but I’m really upset.
    Anyone knows what should I do?

  • #67952

    Hi Beatrice, I’m so sorry you’re going through this, unfortunately i have no idea how to advise you on how or where to go next. Maybe your consulate? Hopefully someone can advice you. Im really sorry not to have been any better help

    IWMB 💕💕

  • #67953

    This doesn’t sound right at all, there is a helpline number on here, please ring them. As a victim of domestic abuse my understanding is your local council have a duty to rehome you. You could try Rights for Women who offer free legal advice on the phone. Or perhaps your embassy or the British embassy. I’m sorry I have no knowledge of their policy. Your husband has worked in the UK, it’s his child so I cannot see why they can deny you help. You could speak to a solicitor for free advice. They could arrest part of his wages and pay your living expenses and that of your child from them. Don’t give up. No woman should be trapped financially in the 21st century. Keep reaching out for help. Shelter have a helpline too.

  • #67957

    Beatrice, please look up Sisters Uncut and contact them.
    Also contact Rights of Women. You need to use their call back function as they are in very high demand.
    They may be able to advise you and guide you how to get out safely.

    As to my knowledge immigration status has nothing to do with a place in a refuge.

    I was in work but an immigrant and I experienced similar abuse by those who were supposed to help me.

    Do not give up.
    Make your inquiries secretly.
    I hope you find someone who helps you.

    Please keep posting here. You are not alone. x*x

  • #67964
    Main Moderator

    Hi there

    I’m sorry to hear about what happened. Its understandable that you feel frustrated and upset, it takes a lot of courage to call refuges.

    As others have mentioned please do call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247. They are open 24/7 and calls are answered by trained female support workers.

    Rights of Women can give you free legal advice over the phone and they have a immigration line on 020 7490 7689. They should be aware of other financial support.

    You do not have to stay with him, there is support out there.

    Take care and keep posting

    Best Wishes,


You must be logged in to reply to this topic.


© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ Jobs

Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account