Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      KIP.
      Participant

It took 6 months before I could speak the word ‘rape’. 6 months after he left I was still terrified to move his stuff around the house. I truly know the meaning of dumb struck. Another two years of no contact before I believed that he could no longer persuade me to take him back. Then five years to believe he wouldn’t come back and finish me off. Only now is my thinking becoming rational and I’m getting a grip on what the hell happened to me. but it’s all okay. This is MY time now. The playing field is even and I’m cracking on with my life. So, wherever you are on your journey just please keep going x

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Oh KIP

This has resonated so strongly with me, has brought me to tears to hear such familar sentiments.

You have been so brave nd strong and come so far to here now.

Your time now, yes, all yours

Grab it with both hands nd live it to the full.

Enjoy!

Warmest wishes

TS

White Rose
      Participant

I was sorting through some old cards recently and found one my mum gave me the day I moved out. It just said “It’s your time now, start living your life not his.” It felt impossible back then.
      It’s taken a few years, but I’m now able to folloe her advice. I’m having my time too KIP XX

KIP.
      Participant

It was impossible back then to not live his life. That’s what abuse does. Makes him the centrepiece. It’s the not knowing and understanding that makes it harder. Knowledge Is Power. Understanding what’s happening to our mind and body as we disentangle from their brainwashing is the key. Being around supportive people and engaging with other survivors to validate our experience. Onwards and upwards x I’m going to the beach today with MY time lol. Have a good one and remember we are all stronger than we think. That inner strength we used when we were being abused is still there to turn things around x 💕

AlwaysSorry
      Participant

Thanks for sharing this, KIP. It’s so good to know that there is a way out and off this rollercoaster.

You’ve earned this time and I wish the time he took from you could be given back. You’re truly inspiring. And yes, you are right, how strong we had to be to endure the abuse, it’s something that can be forgotten but everyone of us had strength. Keep going KIP and I hope you had a lovely time at the beach today. x

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Thank you for sharing this KIP, it’s inspiring and hopeful. A light at the end of the tunnel 😌

You are a true inspiration to me because you went through hell yet you are such brave fighter, you keep going and claimed your life back. Yes!
      Indeed once we have deprogrammed our minds from their brainwashing it will help us claim our life back. For now fear is still taking up a little bit of space in my mind but with time I hope to be able to not be afraid anymore.

I hope you enjoyed your time at the beach 🌊 and keep enjoying it, next week it’s going to be hot weather ☀️☀️
      Sending you hugs 💞

KIP.
      Participant

Thank you. I had a lovely peaceful time. A strange switch just went off. I used to sleep with the light on, radio on so that I knew where I was when I woke up. I still slept with the door wedged shut, carried two mobile phones and a personal alarm. Looking back, did all that add to the heightened state of anxiety, or was it a necessity. I think for my own peace of mind these measures were needed. Don’t get me wrong I still have a healthy respect for the violence my abuser can inflict but my brain is slowly understanding that he has much more to lose if he tries anything and he is now completely outed as a violent man. Part of me sometimes thinks, bring it on. I dare him. I’m not the same woman I was, that’s probably why he’s keeping his distance. Cowardly people. I wish I was this strong when he was arrested but then he wouldn’t have targeted me if I was. Good riddance to bad rubbish x

Eggshells
      Participant

This is exactly the sort of post I needed to read. You give us all hope. Thank you KIP. x*x

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content