• This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Lisa.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Lemonade
      Participant

Hi Ladies ☺️

I’m currently staying in a refuge, I do feel extremely suffocated here.
      There is not much to do where I live and it’s more than a hours journey to get to the city.As well as eexpensive.
      II feel like staying here will fuel my depression.
      TThe other people in the refuge are extremely hhostile too.

What is the process of transferring refuges can you ffind self contained refuges to transfer to?
      I’m a single lady, so it would be nice to get out.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Lemonade

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find it a supportive place to be.

It took a lot of courage to leave, you have done so well. I am sorry to hear that this refuge is not suitable for you. I completely understand this and it’s important to feel comfortable so that you can start to move forward. Most refuges are really good and supportive places.

You can speak to the refuge about this, if you have a support worker she may be able to help you find another space in a refuge.

You could chat to a Women’s Aid worker in confidence via our Live Chat service (open 10am-6pm every day). They can do a refuge search for you. You can access the chat service here: https://chat.womensaid.org.uk/

Take care and keep posting

Lisa

Lemonade
      Participant

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your response.
      Unfortunately I’ve brought this issue up to my refuge worker and she said I can’t transfer refuges unless I’m at risk of danger. I’ve told her it’s affecting my mental health and I’m not eating and she seemed unbothered.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Lemonade,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear the Refuge Worker wasn’t supportive of your request to transfer refuges. Are you able to speak to the Refuge Manager about your concerns? As I mentioned in my previous reply please do consider contacting our Live Chat service if you would like a refuge search and some support.

Keep posting to us when you can.

Take care,

Lisa

Lemonade
      Participant

Hi Lisa,

Thankyou I wasn’t able to speak to the manager.
      I’ve tried to join the live chat but everytime I join it says it’s too busy.
      Is there any other way to contact you?

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello Lemonade,

I’m sorry to hear that the chat was busy when you tried to access it. It does get quite busy, but if you are able to wait, a support worker will get to you and will be able to do a refuge search for you. Another way to contact Women’s Aid is via email, but we are unable to do a refuge search that way, so I would suggest trying the chat again when you have some time free.

Take care,
      Lisa

Lemonade
      Participant

Hi Lisa,

I know self contained refuges are hard to come by I have quite crippling social anxiety therefore my own bathroom and kitchen will be good for me.

Are you aware of any refuges that offers this I know my current refuge does but I’m miserable here.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Lemonade,

Refuges all vary but there are some self contained refuges. This can be added to the search for refuge availability via our Live Chat service or by calling the 24hr National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247.

Keep reaching out when you are able to.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content