Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Darcy
      Participant

Hi beautiful Angels,
      I just wanted to share something with you that has taken me back a bit today. I have been out of my abusive relationship for nearly (detail removed by moderator)  now and always knew as soon as my ex started to be abusive I had to leave … there was no attachment to him, apart from I felt a bit sorry for him that he was so messed up… but the time I was with him was always about survival and getting myself strong enough to leave the mad house we lived in. He wasn’t my true love, he was more like a life lesson.
      After I left I met a man who over the last (detail removed by moderator)  I have had a romantic relationship with, an on and off relationship and a friendship… this man is not aggressive or violent. However he does have quite a few issues of his own. He is inconsistent and uncommitted. This is hugely frustrating to me and I struggle back and forth with the ‘love’ I have for him, which causes me great sadness.
      Its like we just can’t find our groove with each other, we don’t argue or fight and we do get on, but then it fizzles out, only for it all to start over again.
      I do feel I give him more than he gives me, but I excuse that and say that’s just how he is, he’s a busy man.
      So today when again I was discussing this with my soul mentor, she suggested it was a trauma bond… I was completely shocked!
      How could this have happened, I have survived an abusive relationship with a violent and controlling man, who shouted all the time, which I don’t think I had a trauma bond with only to come out of it to form one with a guy that is actually not abusive but through having him in my life I have been abusing myself … I cant believe I didn’t see it, it was so completely subtle because of his gentle calm manner.
      Anyway I do feel better that I have now identified the problem and this afternoon listen to a great little book on audible called Trauma Bonding By Lauren Kozlowski… its only just over an hour and a half long and its explains things really simply so I really recommend listening to it or reading it if you can.
      I guess now I have to start another journey of acknowledging this is not love and implement no contact. I feel blindside!!
      Sending you all love and support my Angels
      Darcy xx

Darcy
      Participant

Hi my darling, thank you for your reply.
      I think because my abusive relationship was so extreme, this new man seemed like a walk in the park compared to him.
      But somewhere along the line I got attached to him in a way that was unhealthy. I feel his behaviour validated all the things I didn’t like about myself and brought back the weaknesses that had led me to abuse in my first partner.
      When I felt low, its like the new guy just reinforced this by not returning my calls for days or stuff like that.
      I now feel much stronger again, now I know what I am dealing with and have quickly detached myself from him. But I do recognise that I need to step up my self love work in certain areas so this doesn’t happen again.
      I really appreciate your support Beachhut and you are right, we are never to old to learn … and we never learn it all!!
      Sending you continued love and support
      D xx

Empoweredhealing
      Participant

Hi Darcy, inconsistencies and lack of commitment stems from emotional unavailability. I think abusive relationships and neglectful ones have this in common. We have to love ourselves enough to choose those who are not only non-abusive but also consistent, kind, open and available.

But you are doing a stellar job in working on self love and self care. So kudos for recognizing it early and letting these kind of relationships/people go.

Darcy
      Participant

Hi my beautiful Angel … Empoweredhealing,
      Thank you for your kind words, you said that beautifully… I really feel like a weight has been lifted. It was so hard to pin point when it was so subtle.
      A man that shouts and hits is easier to spot, but as we know the emotional abuse is just as harmful to our self love, self worth and self respect.
      D xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

Sending you love and support. So sorry your having to do this and well done for relizing and taking action, it’s not easy. All my love x*x

Darcy
      Participant

Thank you … Meagain
      Sending you my love and support xx

Eggshells
      Participant

Yes, it can be really difficult to spot and it creeps in so slowly that it kind of sneaks up on you. You spotted it! So pleased you have felt that weight lift. It’s a wonderful feeling isn’t it? xx

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content