Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      diymum@1
      Participant

im looking into trauma therapy and how it works for the first time – i need this i know i still do but have always been scared to even look into it – lots of interesting ways to deal with trauma

this is an excercise – a brain one

its entitled feeling your pain and living your life

the excercise is inviting discomfort; obviously dont do this if your going to be triggered.

This is an experimental excercise. you may want to read through the text below once in its entirety and then read it through a second time,pausing after a few lines to close your eyes and try to experience what the text is talking about, Dont force it. Let whatever comes up come up.

-which emotion do you have the hardest time with? is it loneliness?sadness? fear? close your eyes and imagine inviting the emotion to come. THink of something that makes you feel that uncomfortable emotion. if it dosent show up thats ok too. what is important is that you are willing to feel it.

– if the difficult emotion shows up for you,observe what you are feeling.see if you can sit with it,Work on accepting it fully.Accept it into your mind,heart and body.if other difficult emotions arise,allow them as well. if painful or difficult thoughts come up, observe and accept them for what they merely are – just thoughts.

-accepting a difficult emotion does not mean that you approve of or accept the facts of painful thoughts or events. you are simply accepting the sensations of the feeling.

KIP.
      Participant

I can see how this would work for triggers. To embrace the feelings of fear and loss and grief. I like the red balloon for emotions, to embrace them let them pass through you into a red balloon and imagine that balloon floating away with those negative emotions. 🎈 Trauma can be complex and hidden and I think needs brought to the surface in a safe environment with a professional. I’m going through therapy at the moment where we are bringing memories to the surface and pairing them with the emotions as they’ve become detached. It’s really surreal. Involves tapping on meridian lines on your head and face while saying words to trigger the memory. I was in her office and she was tapping on my head calling me a frigid b***h, frigid b***h. We had a laugh afterwards imagining the people in the office next door or someone overhearing us but it really worked. It was like magic. Lots of memories and emotions came back and I got to deal with them. The pair them. It was horrible but cathartic at the same time. A lot of the memories helped me make sense of my fear and trauma. It takes a good experienced therapist to not make things worse. I’m so glad I found this lady. It’s a local charity, way ahead of the times x

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Wow, KIP that says so much to how far you’ve come on this journey. To be able to do that type of intense therapy is bl…y astonishing. You are one tough mama💪💛
      IWMB 💞💞

KIP.
      Participant

Thank you and absolutely. The next step will be to listen to the recording of the final assault. Last time I heard that (detail removed by Moderator) I had a major PTSD episode and dissociative episode. That should be fun…… I want my old self back, but a stronger and better version x

diymum@1
      Participant

im starting to feel it is the only way to recover though and thats to face it again and maybe again until i feel nothing. like i did that day i saw him – im the same KIP i am hoping for a better version of myself – this journey has taught me so many valuable lessons – one is treasur the good people around you xx much love diymum

fizzylem
      Participant

Wow, this is your time KIP! Peace be with you on the other side lovely.

I would say this is a method for emotional processing full stop DM, that if practiced leads to understanding your emotions / emotional intelligence. The emotion needs a label, to be acknowledged, then we need to establish where it originates which in turn tells us how best to respond to it x

Iwantmeback
      Participant

I’ve been posting my recordings to keep me motivated for leaving. It is really hard to listen to them, even the dog looks bewildered and coories in. I might just keep them for a while @KIP. Think I’ll be recording another one tonight when he comes back in, I got told off 3 times on the phone today, felt like a bl..dy child, no doubt he’ll be raring to go. It definately confirms you’re doing or have done the right thing, when you play them back.😏

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content