Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello

I’m not happy with the service offered by my divorce lawyer whom I feel just sees me as a cash cow – charges high expenses but doesn’t spot mistakes on the documentation for example. In other words, there is sloppiness. Not what you need in a divorce, when this person has responsibility for securing your future. Has anyone changed lawyer part way through the divorce process? Is it actually possible, since their law firm is named as representing me on the court/divorce papers. I’m not yet at the stage of being granted decree nisi by the courts. Is this too late?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello!
      I felt the same about mine but looking back I was just on emotional high alert from abuse.
      They do make mistakes and so did/does my ex husbands.
      You can change as it’s an expensive business and you need to feel secure – it’s just a job to them and actually deep down they don’t care. Maybe if you see it that way you might be able to stick with this one and just get the job done? Sooner you’re divorced the better eh?
      I recently wondered why mine didn’t tell me to call the police when I told her about assaults. My mum said it would be like blaming the check out assistant for not telling you what peas to buy…hummmm…not sure!! Just make sure you have emotional support from another source and you only need a solicitor to ease the paperwork burden.
      Good luck x

Eggshells
      Participant

Hi cirrocumulus, I changed my solicitor about 4 weeks before the court date. It was easy to do and a really good decision.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Just to update. I did change solicitor and this one was much more supportive, though still expensive!

My advice to anyone considering divorce is to look beyond the solicitors in your local area as there is some variation in the hourly rate they charge depending on their location. With the current pandemic they may well offer Zoom or phone consultations rather than meeting in person. And most correspondence is by email.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content