Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Stella
      Participant

I’ve finally got my husband to move out. We have three teenage children and we were receiving tax credits. Because I have had to make a new claim I have been put on universal credit but am now 300 per month worse off compared to child tax credit. I work full time, have always paid the mortgage and bills due to being the only bread winner but now will be so much worse off! I know it’s better emotionally for myself and the children but the financial strain is going to have a huge impact on us all. I already feel down about letting the kids down all these years by staying in this awful situation. I thought the hardest part was over but it’s only just begun. I’m even considering asking for food bank vouchers….this shouldn’t be happening…I work so hard…I even volunteer for a homeless charity in my spare time but feel like I could soon end up needing the help myself due to universal credit. I’ve asked them if they’ve worked it out properly and they assure me they have! Has anyone else had these problems? It’s hard enough without this too. This is not the worst of my problems by far but it’s certainly adding to them! Help!

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Universal credit is the government’s way of abusing women and people who are low paid even further, it’s inhumane😡😡 I can only advise you to see your MP at their next surgery, explain all aspects of how you’ve ended up where you are. The government are taking DA very seriously now and are trying to help many more people because of it. I too am scared of where I’ll end up after I decide to leave my OH as UC is the only way fir me to receive any financial help as I can no longer work due to health problems. Many women will remain with an abuser precisely because of this very issue.😡
      I hope you get the advice and help you need to move on from what has been a hellish time in your own and children’s lives.
      IWMB 💕💕

Daisy
      Participant

I’d get them to fully explain your entitlement so you can understand it or get a welfare agency to look into it for you. There is information online too at turn to us, money advice or the .gov website itself.
      Mistakes can be made so I,d definately keep asking for explanations until you understand what income they have used and that you agree with the amounts of that income used. Have you also checked if you can get help with your council tax or any maintenance payments.
      X x x

Stella
        Participant

Thanks for the advice. Sorry it’s taken a while to say Thank-you. Things are worse now…tax credits say I owe ££ (detail removed by moderator) 😖

Stella
        Participant

Thank you for the advice. It does seem like everything is against me…I now owe ££ (detail removed by moderator) to tax credits! I’m sure things will work out in the end just feels like everything is against me at the moment 🙄

Frankfurter
      Participant

Well that is horrible. The new system was supposed to be fairer and save money, but it seems to make things far worse for people like yourself and is costing far more than the previous system did. Typical political muck up. Get your award checked out thoroughly though, because they are notorious for getting it wrong. Fingers crossed it works in your favour. Good luck.

clementine
      Participant

This really worries me – I’ve used the online calculators and they say as I am on tax credits I get a certain amount – which is enough for me to live on. Great.

I even rang and asked about how much I would be entitled to once it switches to UC and was told I’d be almost £200 better off!

I don’t believe that for a moment but this is all everyone tells me – that the calculator makes a prediction based on the information I’ve given so it’s the best they can do.

It makes me so angry that they can’t give definite. People are genuinely wanting to know so they can try and plan for the future.

So worried about it.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content