Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ve been told that this is the therapy I will be receiving to help me deal with the sexual abuse.. anyone have any positive stories?

maddog
      Participant

I’ve had PCT. I don’t really understand what all these different therapies are. I found the counselling with Rape Crisis fantastic and I was finally able to put one of my earliest traumas to bed.

fizzylem
      Participant

Person centred therapy is non directive, means the therapist will only work with what you present in the session. The therapist believes it is the therapeutic relationship that heals, so offers you unconditional positive regard, empathy and acceptance, believing that when you feel valued you will discover your potential and your own answers to the difficulty.

Person cenrtred counsellors believe that a person enters therapy because they are incongruent (not intouch with their true self), and work in a way that enables the person to become congruent (intouch with their true self).

It can feel a little confusing to begin with sometimes, a bit like feeling left to dangle, until you get into it, because the therapist does not want to influence your thoughts with their own (person centred, placing the person at the centre of the therapy).

Unless the therapist is a purist (practices only one approach), pretty much all therpists draw from the person centred approach as they all see the value in the type of relationship offered, only they also draw from other theories and approaches as well.

The approach is not really important, the how you get there part, ideally what you need is any therapist with experience of working with the issues you bring, e.g. domestic abuse, parental abuse, rape, trauma. It would be good for you to know whether this therapits has this expereince or not, so you can be mindful of this.

Although, a person centred counsellor may believe it not necessary to have expereince of the issues you bring, because it’s a gentle, non invasive therapy led by the client so perhaps not needed; you set the pace and decide what to work on, the counsellor is there to simply support you to help you grow and gain self awarensess – which is very helpful; it is self awareness that arms all abuse victims.

However, the more years experience and training a therapist gets, the more knoweldge base they will inevitably require into specific issues – which personally, I feel is helpful. There is an arguement that suggests there is no such thing as a purist with experience, that it’s not possible to learn and not be influenced by this learning and not take that into the session – especially when someone presents as needing information the therapits has, for example, the latest research on trauma. But, there are some purist person counsellors out there for sure, who will not share information and strictly stay working within the approach and the principles who are equally as helpful.

Whats most important, above all else, is that you like the therapist, you feel you want to work with him/her, that he/she is credible and that you leave feeling you are getting what you need.

Go to the BACP website (bristish association for counsellors and psychotherapits) and look at their guide on how to find a therapist, it will show you the questions you need to ask, so that you feel happy to proceed and that the therapist is also the right one for you.

If possible, it’s good to try a few, so that you can workout is this the right one for me. You could still do this now, as most give a free initial consultaion, this would be enough to help you workout if you feel happy with the one you have. It’s always time well spent.

I like this approach and the therapist, when it’s delivered well it can be very helpful, it can help a person find meaningful, long lasting changes. With any therapy you have to feel its ok for you each step of the way, if it doesn’t then please stop and talk about what it is that is troubling you, as it’s important to work through this, otherwise it doesnt work, therapy requires a person to be open and honest for it to work – the therapist is there to help you; to never judge you.

Because the PC counsellor draws from the relationship, he/she will see it as v important that you work on what comes up between the two of you in your relationship, beleiving that these issues also come up in your other relationships, so if you can work through the issues in this relationship, this will help you with those relationships in the real world too. This is the part that can feel challenging but discussing how you feel and you think is key. For example, she may annoy you, or anger you, you might feel confused or uncomfortable – would be really helpful for you to tell her when this happens. Most of us can talk about how happy we are, what we struggle with is addressing the real issues with someone isnt it – this will be your opportunity to do that in safe relationship so you learn how better to deal with these situations in life and with others.

Hope it helps x

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you so much for the comments, really insightful xox

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content