Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Dragonfly
      Participant

I’ve recently been sorting through my clothes, boots, shoes etc. I’ve suddenly realised I have quite a lot. Stuff I’ve not worn in years (they weren’t suitable apparently). In fact they are normal things, nice things and some dressy going out things.

I’ve tried on some boots and jeans for example and thought I look not bad in that outfit. Pre abuse I wore what I wanted when I wanted. It’s dawned on me even my clothes were checked and scrutinised.

Now I feel my confidence coming back. I’m starting to wear these things again (albeit I’ve managed to put on a stone and a half unfortunately)!!

It’s just a good feeling to choose something and go out. No stress 😃

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Dragonfly,

This is lovely to hear. I’m glad to hear your confidence is coming back, you deserve to wear what you want and more importantly feel good about it

Best Wishes

Lisa

Freedomfighter
      Participant

Hi Dragonfly,
      I know what you mean about having your clothes censored. Mine just says
      Mmmm, yeah looks okay, but why don’t you wear this. I never felt comfortable in the clothes he bought and chose.
      I’ve realised that my confidence was growing and I was wearing what I liked, but since my nerves got bad again with the stress of all this planning I’ve started wearing black, big baggy clothes again. I must make an effort to wear some nice clothes and moisturise and wear my makeup again. I’ve let everything slip again. Thanks for your post it’s reminded me I need to look after myself, so thank you. Enjoy your clothes and have fun

KIP.
      Participant

Hey Freedomfighter. 👠 high heels. Make you feel fab x 💄💋bit of Lippy too x

Dragonfly
      Participant

Sometimes making a little effort gives a massive boost. 😉

fridges
      Participant

I was forced to wear very ugly clothes, and no surprise if I was feeling ugly, as they did make me look ugly. I could not buy new things for myself, it was not allowed. When he was buying, it was according to his taste. Which made me look older for 20 years. As he was old himself, wanted me to match him, not matching to me, it was not possible:)
      Now I feel so happy that I can wake up and choose my clothes, dress nicely, according to my style.
      I was always well dressed woman, with good taste. But he forbid me to choose things, he was becoming violent and abusive, if i wanted something nice. I hope all women who are here on the site, will find the way out, rebuild their lives and feeling happy + content.

Dragonfly
      Participant

They are very controlling. I’m just so glad I can make my own decisions now without judgement xx

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content