Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      survivorandproud
      Participant

It’s been a rough journey but I’m finally starting to feel like me again. My anxiety has been horrific for weeks now but I keep reminding myself, we aren’t these men’s mothers, we aren’t here to teach them what is right or wrong. I began to feel better in myself by realising it has nothing to do with me, or us, he will never change, he will always need control and this will always lead to abuse. We can’t keep hurting ourselves trying to help these people (abusers). What did everyone else do to help after walking away? Just wondering if there’s any other therapy/ remedies that could help me and helped others

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Survivorandproud,

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you are making great progress. Your local Women’s Aid group might be a good starting point. They can offer counselling and support. There are also some good books, particularly by Lundy Bancroft that might interest you. Please also remember to be kind to yourself and look after yourself. Whatever works for you is the right thing to do.

Best wishes,

Lisa
      Forum Moderator

KIP.
      Participant

Hi there. Good counselling, mindfulness, exercise and healthy eating, being kind to yourself and pampering yourself, for me raising awareness and changing the system empowered me. Educating myself on what happened to my and Why. Cognitive dissonance. Gaslighting. Trauma bonding. Re engaging in relationships I couldn’t when with my abuser. So my family and friends. I’ve had terrific fun just hanging out with my sisters and have even had a couple of fab holidays with my friend and family. Making supportive friends on here had been tremendous help. Knowing there are women who understand and empathise. Just taking time to stop and smell the 🌹 🌹 roses x

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content