Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      RedFox
      Participant

Hello everyone,

I am on my way to get everything sorted and be free again. I do not live with my abuser anymore.

However I can’t relax. I can’t find a place to rent and will soon be homeless.
      I felt like crying all day, I live in an expensive area and with my budget I can only get really horrible places AND they all refuse letting me the property because I have a furry friend.

I am so disheartened and don’t know where to turn. I don’t know what to do, I worry I will be homeless and there is no one out there who can help.

I am all alone…

KIP.
      Participant

Have you tried Women’s Aid? They may know of ways around this as they’re often helping with housing. Citizens advice too x maybe rent a room from someone who likes furry friends meantime?

RedFox
      Participant

I have contacted my local women’s aid and hopefully we can discuss soon. But I don’t expect them to have the solution.. I am not sure what CAB could do either. Do they help with these issues?

I just find it so unfair that because I have a cat, i will probably not be able to rent. Sharing a house will be tricky for the same reason.
      My furry baby has been key in what happened recently. He was the reason I drove back home in the evenings and the reason why I found the strength to leave my abuser. It might sound silly for some people but this is the reality.
      I feel like a bad owner, not offering him the life he deserves. We will end up god knows where but it will probably not be nice.

Sunshine
      Participant

Red fox,

I can relate to this… Although I ultimately left my husband because of my daughter our dog  was also my worry. When my ex husband was drunk and abusive the dog would actually leave the downstairs and take himself upstairs. I can understand the pain you share with your pets and how they help you. Hopefully you can find a understanding landlord or social housing who maybe if you tell them your story will sympathise.

It’s a long road but good luck stay strong x*x

Goldengirl
      Participant

Hi, Red. I was in this position too but had a child as well. Your local council has a legal responsibility to find you somewhere on two counts. Firstly, because of the domestic abuse (you had to leave your home) and, more importantly, because of the fear of being homeless. They have a department within housing to deal with people who think they are about to be homeless. I had a dog and two cats that they had to consider. Good luck.

Goldengirl
      Participant

Forgot to say that they will try really hard to fob you off with excuses – my council tried to put us in a halfway house for recovering drug addicts! Not the best start for a frightened woman and frightened child. Stick to your guns about needing help and being about to be homeless. They try to offer you rubbish to see if you are really about to be homeless.

Janedoeissad
      Participant

RedFox, have you tried some of the room sharing websites?

I am currently looking for a little Annex or similar to rent whilst I get myself sorted. House sharing websites will also have little Annex’s or small properties for rent. Some of these will also take pets. Finally some of these will only require small or not deposits and you will not have to pay application fees.

I have 2 fur babies and they are so much happier now I have left.

Ayanna
      Participant

Can you move a bit further outside where it is cheaper?
      Look for house shares where the owners have a cat.

bluedolphin
      Participant

It’s awful isn’t it trying to find housing to escape abuse. I also live in an expensive area (I wanted to move somewhere cheaper but he refused). It’s one of the main reasons I haven’t left him yet.

I hope you can find somewhere – and somewhere that isn’t totally awful.(Detail removed by moderator)

It’s brilliant that you have got away from your abuser at least. I hope I can follow your example.

RedFox
      Participant

Thank you all for your kind messages x

Who could i contact regarding the fact I fear being homeless?
      I only have a month and a bit to find somewhere, it is so difficult to live with this fear. I don’t even know what to do with my furniture and belongings if I end up with nothing at the last minute.
      I can’t focus on anything at all, work or anything in my life. Relaxing is impossible. I even almost got angry at my fur baby this morning but it isn’t his fault and I love him to bits.

Sharing is complicated because I worry I will be kicked out again. I worry my fur baby damages the furniture or is sick (he has been a lot recently and it is not nice).

I contacted my women’s aid but there is nothing they can do with housing for me and my pet.
      I can’t move further because of work, everywhere at an ok distance of work is expensive (even tiny villages).

I don’t know who to ask for some help anymore. I don’t talk about the abuse, I haven’t fully reported my abuser and it is not an official fact. I am not English, i don’t know who can help with what… 🙁

Tiffany
      Participant

It’s not ideal, but you could put your belongings into storage if you can’t find somewhere proper to stay. I think that various animal charities can also do temporary fostering for the pets of people fleeing domestic abuse. The council really should sort you with somewhere appropriate to live, but these are potential back ups if you end up staying in a hostel or on a friend’s floor for a time.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content