Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Newyearnewme2022
      Participant

Hello. After (detail removed by moderator) of emotional, financial and sometimes sexual abuse from my former husband I finally left him in (detail removed by moderator) and I felt alive for the first time in years. I thought that once I done it, I would feel more better and confident about myself. For a little while, I felt euphoric and free. But now, the damage of years of emotional abuse is creeping in and I am constantly apologising for being me. I really want to move on and feel comfortable with myself but i am finding it really hard to feel like anyone would want to know the real me. Am I too damaged?

Bestchance07
      Participant

Newyearnewme2022 you are not damaged, and I am sure you are a strong, courageous lady to have gone through what you have.

Have you tried any of the counselling programs mentioned on here? Alot of the ladies here mention the Freedom programme? I self referred and I am currently waiting for my first session so I cannot vouch for it yet myself, but it sounds like it could be really helpful.

And reach out to all of us on here. We are all here to help each other. I dip in and out, there are days when I dont want to admit I am the victim of abuse so struggle to come on here, but days when its helpful. x

Newyearnewme2022
        Participant

Thank you for your reply. I shall look into doing the freedom programme. I done it about 8 years ago but was kind of going through denial at the time so think it would be good to do it now I am on the other side.

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Hi NYNM2022, I just wanted to say that i spoke indepth about some of my abuse yesterday and was told that it is common for us who have been with/married to our abusers over a long period of time (I was with mine for decades, still not free yet but wanted to add this to your post) that it can be helpful to do the Freedom Programme 2/3 times or more as the first time we do the Programme we are often in denial first time, 2nd time listen and 3rd time on the course understand and accept more. It made sense to me when explained like this.
      I start the FP course next week, my DA support worker has said I will possibly need to do it a few times alongside counselling (my brain needs rewiring, that’s how I think of it.
      Have you had counselling? Would you feel comfortable speaking with your GP for a referral for counselling?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content