Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Moonbeam
      Participant

Sorry to bother everyone again, but I’m struggling at the moment. It’s been (detail removed by moderator) since I got out of my abusive relationship and I still think about it constantly. Should things have not eased up by now?

I feel like when I talk to friends and family about it now, and I might bring up something new, they either ignore me or I get the impression that they think that I’m making stuff up. However, it’s just me remembering something that I’ve repressed because of my delusional beliefs that he loved me, and I was the problem.

I was only with him for (detail removed by moderator), and I feel so useless that I can’t seem to move on from being the useless person that I was. Yes, I have good moments, but as soon as something bad happens I start hearing his voice again and seeing his dead inside eyes looking at me.

He’s no longer in my life, thank God, but he’s still a looming shadow.

But shouldn’t I be over this by now? I don’t want to see a therapist, because I feel that that will make things worse.

Escapee
      Participant

Hi 😊,

Therapy doesn’t make it worse, it will help you move through it to the other side.

But you will get there. You endured years of a man getting inside your head and making you question everything!

Have you got access to support groups? Being around other women that get it makes such a difference. I don’t think those that haven’t experienced abuse can really understand the affect it can have on the person on the recieving end!

X*x

Moonbeam
        Participant

My only support group is this forum. I have 2 aunts who went through domestic abuse but they struggle to talk about it. One of them still has a few scars off the b*****d. I’m sure if I did bring it up they’d chat with me, but it’s hard. I saw my mam’s face when I told her about the rapes and I don’t think that I could do that to another relative.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content