Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Purpleowl
      Participant

First id just like to say hello…just joined today after talking to my GP. I have been free for (detail removed by moderator) years after (detail removed by moderator) years abuse…physical and mental. I am still in a daily fight with the nightmares and flashbacks and ive decided i need to try councilling. Just like to know if it works really. I also have cinical depression for (detail removed by moderator) years, COPD,IBS anxiety and PTSD. I attempted suicide (detail removed by moderator). Thanks for reading

Freedomfighter
      Participant

Hi purpleowl
      Welcome to the forum, feels a bit odd saying that, not long joined myself. I’ve had clinical depression, anxiety and currently off work with stress. Quite common when you live/lived with abuse. From my experience yes if you can find one that understands cases like ours then it’s absolutely worth it. Takes time and can leave you feeling drained especially when you’re dragging up old memories and reliving them so that you can deal with them once and for all. Point is I find it brilliant, lifechanging ! Seriously, but a good one who is free can be hard to find. Depends on where you live and what’s available and waiting lists. However, the helplines are free and so is this and other sites like it. Sorry you’re having flashbacks and feeling like you’re struggling. I’m not out of my relationship yet still planning, but congrats on escaping. I too have been married over (detail removed by moderator) years and am having trouble coping with everything at present. I was paying for private counselling which was brilliant and really helpful. Unfortunately I’m currently off work with stress as it all got too much. Now I can’t afford the private counselling. I sent a message saying could I just book one session but she’s snowed under, and is worried about me. I said it was fine, didn’t want her to feel guilty! She recommended someone, but it’s further away and didn’t want to have to go through everything again with someone new. Anyway, good luck, don’t forget the helpline in the meantime and keep posting, there’s always a lot of advice and support here. Well done getting your freedom back

KIP.
      Participant

Hello,and welcome, yes it will end but it takes time and a lot of patience with yourself. Councelling was great for me but again it has to be the right one. I was told it would be like an operation painful opening up but then the pieces get put back together in the right place. Painful for a while but it gets much easier. It’s also retraining our brains to think correctly before our abusers messed us up. Keep posting on here for support.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content