Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Smwhyle
      Participant

To give some context, I don’t talk to anyone or know anyone. I have been trying to lessen my anxiety which has been on the rise. I have been doing exposure therapy to try and eventually overcome my agoraphobia. I live in a sky rise and every other day I go down the stairs and around the building. I hear all sorts of arguments and noises so when I heard it today I thought it was nothing to do with me. But as soon as I get back in from my exposure therapy and shut and lock my door, almost immediately there is a woman and a man on the other end of it rattling my letterbox and trying to open it with their key. The woman is shouting at the man and the man sounds defensive. I have heard the same man and woman in the general area coming back and forth to it all day but not trying to get in until then. With their strong Scottish accents which I couldn’t understand, the only things I could make our were swears and the words “her”. I think referring to me? I got the impression she wanted to fight me, it was aggressive. I started disassociating and called the emergency police. They have said nothing has happened, there’s nothing to report and for all we know could’ve been at the wrong door especially because I don’t know anyone. I am even more afraid to go out now.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Smwhyle,

It sounds like exposure therapy can be challenging to say the least and the fact that you are doing this sounds very positive and demonstrates your commitment to getting better. No doubt going for the walks from your high-rise apartment would present moments of anxiety. It’s understandable that you may become frightened once and awhile.

No Panic is a membership support group providing services to people suffering from panic attacks, phobias, obsessive compulsive disorders and general anxiety disorders. They provide telephone support groups and 14 week telephone therapy courses which offer coping strategies for people who live in isolated or rural surroundings. Postal strategy courses are available as well. Information is available in various formats for small costs on the website. Their helpline can be contacted on 0300 772 9844 (10am-10pm). They also operate a 24-hour crisis line available on 01952 680 835.

Mind provide information on a range of topics including types of mental distress, where to get help, drug and alternative treatments and advocacy. They are also able to provide details of help and support for people in their own area. Their Legal Advice Line provides legal information and advice on mental health related law covering mental health, community care, capacity, discrimination/equality and human rights. They can be contacted on 0300 123 3393 (Mon-Fri 9am-6pm).

As you said, this incident may very well be a ‘one off’ and they got the wrong door, however, if it happens again, do call the police. I hope any of the services I signposted above can help ensure you feel able to continue to make progress facing your agoraphobia.

Take good care,

Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content