Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Enidblyton
      Participant

My partner is seeing a therapist, after I told him I was leaving, due to his emotional abuse. After his appointment, he is saying we have to meet up and he has to ask me some face to face questions – on request of the therapist, is this something a therapist would do? Something is telling me this doesn’t feel right. I would have thought (if he’s being honest) the therapist wouldn’t want me involved. Maybe I’m paranoid – any thoughts or experiences welcomed. Thank you in advance

nbumblebee
      Participant

I cant and wont say that your husband isnt telling the truth thats not my place but what I will say is that I see a therapist and no way would she suggest anything like this.
      My advice to you is that if it feels wrong in your gut then trust that feeling sweetie. X*x

Enidblyton
      Participant

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

nbumblebee
        Participant

No thanks needed sweetie we are all bere. Take care x

Eggshells
      Participant

It doesn’t sound right to me. If the therapist has suggested this then the therapist does not understand domestic abuse. No therapist should be suggesting this.

Tulipan
      Participant

My husband said his therapist suggested that we go for a couple therapy but never suggested bringing me to his personal sessions. If your husband sees someone who is also a couples therapist that it is possible but to me it would also mean that the therapist doesn’t see your husband as abusive (or your husband is not giving him a full story) because otherwise he absolutely shouldn’t suggest it.

Moonlit Night
      Participant

It’s quoting (well, misquoting) the therapist to meet his own needs.

His therapy will be about him, his frame of reference and his lived experience, not based on your responses.

Nonsense!
      MLN x

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Hi, he went to see a therapist after you mentioned leaving him and now he is claiming that his therapist has told him to tell you that you should meet him face to face because he has lots of questions?..that’s rubbish, he needs you to meet up as that’s what he wants. If he has sought therapy to help himself, his behaviours, his emotional abuse then good luck to him and I hope he feels better (as he should be doing this for himself and not to prove anything to you).

If you do not want to meet him face to face then don’t, you do not owe him anything. You owe yourself everything.
      My ex went to therapy and really quickly started telling me well he was doing, how his therapist was so proud of him, how he was calmer now… it is often a tactic when they go for therapy. Trust your gut and do what is right for you
      HFH ❤️

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content