Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Pinklady
      Participant

Hi all,
      I just wanted to share an update & hope it can give some hope to others, who have or are going through this! Apologies for the length of post!

I left my ex (detail removed by Moderator) months ago, I now have my own lovely sanctuary and although I’ve still a long way to go, I want to share my experience.
      I left after a particular nasty incident & at first stayed with a friend. I was put in touch with VS & assigned a support worker who organized counselling, practical support & local support.

The help I’ve received has been amazing, I’ve been rehoused, was provided with essential appliances (as had no money) & help to budget as I was financially controlled for the entirety of the relationship.
      I really cannot thank my support workers enough for all they have done for me.

I still live hour by hour, still in no contact (but that doesn’t stop him!) & still very alert when out & about, although I do have an alarm with me at all times.
      It’s tough but every day I wake up thankful to be out.
      Counselling is helping although I feel the waiting time for this is not acceptable given our states of mind when in an abusive situation.
      It’s the simple things I treasure, being able to eat when I want, go out & not get driven crazy with calls & texts, not watching what I say & do in case it set him off, not being blamed for his abusive actions.

I’ve still a long road ahead but please please get out if you can, help & support is there, you’re not alone although you think no one really understands, they do!
      (detail removed by Moderator) months ago I could never have imagined where I am today, my mindset is far from OK but with the help I’ve received & still have, I know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

The support I received from this site was immense & gave me the courage to get out, messages from you lovely lot helped reinforce my determination to get out & stay out, I’ve had my wobbles & yes still do but that’s normal yet I will never go back to him.

My confidence is growing day by day and I’m starting to believe in my own judgement again, its a great feeling !
      Although I am aware it’s not like this for everyone, I just wanted to share my experience & hope it helps to give positivity to those like me, who (detail removed by Moderator) months ago was ready to pull the plug on life because it became unbearable.
      Don’t ever give up, stay strong, do whatever it takes to get out & don’t be afraid to ask for help, We have nothing to be ashamed off !
      Take care all be safe stay strong love to all x

KIP.
      Participant

Hey pinklady, I remember you and I’m so glad you are safe and thriving. It’s such a hard thing to leave when we are so demoralised and abused. It took courage and things can only get better. I agree the councelling times are making things worse for us Survivors. Perhaps we could all raise awareness. I’ve already taken this up with my member of Parliament. I had to pay privately or I would have sunk long ago x

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Pinklady,

I am so pleased to hear you are now safe and doing well. I am sure your post will help those reading, thank you for sharing with us.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Ayanna
      Participant

I am so glad to read your post.
      I was left to die by the support services.
      Therefore, I am really pleased that there are some good people among them too.
      I hope you get the correct counselling support for your trauma soon, because it sits deep and takes a while to loosen its grip.

Tractor
      Participant

Hello

This is so reassuring to read thank you for sharing. You really should be proud of yourself and now can share your story to help others. Well done ! X

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content