Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Fluctuating
      Participant

Hello all,

I haven’t posted for a while, but I’m aware that before I left, I was scanning this forum for really positive stories of leaving, so I thought I’d stop by and share mine.

I left a month or so ago now. It took a lot of really careful planning and reaching out to wonderful friends to help me make that extraordinarily painful leap of leaving the home I loved.

What I can say is my only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner. I know it’s early days, and there are some painful battles to be fought, but I have been so wholeheartedly embraced by my friends, family and colleagues that I feel stronger and safer than ever. It was too hard to see the future when I was fogged up by being near him – now I feel so peaceful and light, I simply can’t imagine going back.

I think we all focus on the pain and difficulty of leaving – I know these things kept me there for far too long – but, if you’re reading this and wondering if it’s worth all the hassle – it is. 1000 times over. Love to you all x*x

zeitwzaatar
      Participant

Yeah, it is 100% worth it. I left an abusive relationship years ago, and just wrote a post on still being alone. But being alone is still so much better than being with a guy like that.

From my experience, you will have ups and downs about leaving for a while. Including loneliness. But in the end you are now the primary person in control of how your day goes, you don’t have to worry about his explosive anger and what he will do to you. You can become your own person again. I’m many years out and honestly can’t fathom how horrible my life would have been if I had stayed with him. I think of all the amazing things I’ve done since leaving him that never would have happened (a tonne of travel, working abroad, getting my Masters degree, making great friends). Leaving is worth it a million times over.

KIP.
      Participant

Thanks for sharing. Your friends are just being caring and supportive which you haven’t had from your abuser which makes it all the more special. The trick to remember is he was the exception not the rule and not to allow one abusive a*s to ruin your faith in humanity. You go girl! 👏👏👏

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content