Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Pinkvelvet
      Participant

Hi all,

This time last year I was in a very different place to where I am now, so I thought I’d share some insight into my own (I hate using this word, but) journey.

Safe to say I was very depressed, scared, very low self esteem, exhausted and nervous about the future.

The three biggest things that have helped me this year:

1. Therapy
      I did face to face counselling for 2 months, and attempted the online CBT course twice but I’m not sure that one was quite right for me. I’d encourage anyone to seek help and not be afraid to ask for it, because I’m so glad I did and I’d like to pass that knowledge on to others. Knowing I had that one hour period each week to talk through my feelings and get it off my chest helped more than I even realised it would.

2. Medication
      I was very sceptical about this, and it took me a long while to ask for it, but I’m so glad I did (and wish I had sooner). I was crying pretty much every day and at first I thought I was getting better, but then I realised I’d just managed to make myself busy with things with friends and in fact that was just masking how I was really feeling. If this resonates with you, please speak to a doctor or mental health professional. It’s changed my life for the better this year – it won’t be for everyone and obviously is not a one solution fixes all by any stretch, but if you’ve been thinking about it for a while and are unsure – just ask.

3. Time
      The answer I hate to give but it’s true, for me anyway. Along with the above, I’m in such a better position now because of time. During the past 12 months, I stopped having communication with my ex (if you’re in the position to do this but anxious to cut ties – don’t hesitate, do it), I’ve spent the entire period not focusing on relationships with men but on other areas of my life (my house, holidays, working out what other areas of my life I feel ‘stuck’ in) and having honest conversations with myself about my mental health and trying to look at it for what it is.

It’s been a really tough year, I was an absolute mess and feeling entirely hopeless. Just want to give some hope and share my experiences in case they help anybody else on here.

And if you’re still fighting the fight and going through difficult things, please keep going. Don’t give up. Keep posting and please keep your head up. You’re all wonderful people, and have helped me so much this past year and I just want to also say thank you so much to anyone that has read, commented and supported me during a really difficult time. You’re all making a difference even when going through your own personal difficulties, and I think that’s something to be proud about.

Love to you all and I hope you receive all the positive karma for 2023 x

Bananaboat
      Participant

Thank you this is great advice and great timing for me personally as I’ve really struggled this festive period. The thought of returning to work next week is weighing on me as I’ve realised Ive been masking a lot by keeping ultra busy. I’m nervous but accept I need to bite the bullet and call my GP. Here’s hoping for a better 2023 for us all xx

nbumblebee
      Participant

This is a real encouraging post.
      Thank you.
      I see a counsellor but just cant seem to talk another way to pretend and not accept I guess.
      Some days i just sit and cry or think some days i just sit. I know im not right.
      This post has given me some hope. Thank you xxxxx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content