Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      savingthestars
      Participant

Hi, does anyone know if there is anyone that can translate abuse for you to show courts/professionals.

I want to show people evidence but when I do they read it wrong because its… “apologetic” and “down playing” you know the kind “I’m sorry for blah which wasnt my fault, I only did vicious blah because I was tired/drunk/not to blame.” It reminds me of the video interview of (detail removed by moderator). Its like you need a person at the bottom of the screen saying “see how he speaks in the past tense.. this implies that they are no longer around etc

diymum@1
      Participant

you maybe need someone to rephrase your evidence with less emotion. because the courts are looking for fact not an emotional point off view (because it is a very emotive subject for us)and also because we get conditioned we learn to passify well i did. i got me evidence together and asked a couple off good friends to proof read it and change it so it was all fact xx that way it was hard evidence xx

savingthestars
      Participant

i mean more someone who can explain what he is really saying.

EbonyRaven
      Participant

Try giving Rights of Women a call, they should be able to help with the phrasing.

It could help to put it in a way that sort of explains. For example: My partner devalues me often by invalidating my thoughts and memories of events. He does this by attempting to explain that his actions were not voluntary or chosen, and that they were due to substance abuse for example. My partner does not act toward any other person in this way whilst under the influence, however tries to persuade me that my recollection of events is incorrect, and that he had no responsibility for them.

maddog
      Participant

In court it is not for you to tell that he is an abuser. There are questions your legal counsel can ask which should start to enrage him. (detail removed by moderator)  Remember that your personality will be scrutinised as well.

Show, don’t tell. Get as much support as you can from any agencies involved in your life.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content