Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      KIP.
      Participant

My practice manager at my GP tells me I need a letter from my solicitor to get copies of these. I didn’t argue with her but did say I thought she was mistaken but she’s insisting. I cannot see why I should have to pay a solicitor to write to her when I’m clearly asking for them. More hurdles to jump. I will speak to my solicitor but will be so angry if this practice manager is wrong and my friend was with me and heard it all. I’ve been let down so often by so called professionals x

godschild
      Participant

KIP See this link re your medical recorss, nothing mentioned about needing a solicitor x

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68

Confused123
      Participant

HI Hun

Thats b s , by law we have right to request our records, if the surgery wont give the form as they are supposed to put a request in writing to gp requesting records from what ever dates u need, i know mine charge but i can request

Serenity
      Participant

Is it because the records will be used in a legal context?

You have a right to be shown your own records informally, but if they are to be used in a legal setting, maybe the solicitor is expected to apply for them ( as he or she is the one who will be looking at them and using them)?

Is it about data protection and confidentiality?

Their request might be to help protect you and safeguard your vulnerability. Your GP might be concerned to verify that everything is above board, that the third party who you are handing your records to has professional status.

Ayanna
      Participant

Hi KIP, you are entitled to see your own medical records. You have to request them in writing. Some GPs charge money for this. Best speak to the practice manager about their procedure and send them a recorded letter.

Florence
      Participant

Hi – I am new, have been watching threads for a long time they give me a lot of hope – at least I have now joined up.

but I work in a surgery and what the practice manager told you is incorrect. you can have them but normally a cost as takes time to photocopy and paper etc. write and explain situation.

thanks

KIP.
      Participant

Thanks for your replies. The confusion as serenity pointed out is that if they will be used in a legal setting then my solicitor must request them directly. Trouble is I don’t know if they will or not. I’ve left it in the hands of my solicitor.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content