This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

  • Author
  • #104038

    i feel ive been really let down by the domestic abuse system.

    i left my husband for a while but have had to return home as i couldnt afford to stay in temporary accommodation that my local council put me in.
    they have given me a huge bill for a small room, and i feel i need to get in contact with authorities to put my point across, that just because i have savings, its not my doing that i had to flee D/V and then return.

    in the long turn, as i am still classed as high risk, surely i am costing the authorities as they are still ‘looking out for me’

    sorry, its upsetting to go too much into it all. i just feel i need to ‘complain’ and put it out there for the next person……

    id be grateful if anyone could suggest who to contact, i have been in contact with my local MP for now.

  • #104042

    Is it the system or your local dv service? If it’s the local dv service, do they have a head office? Go straight to the top. If it’s the council run one then go straight to the Director of the local council. Your MP is. Good start. I did a newspaper article too. Would you be up to getting a journalist involved. You can do it anonymously. The national office of Women’s Aid. ‘UK Says No More’ organisation. They’re the ones engaging with Boots and Morrison’s. Do a standard email listing your experiences and send it out to all these. I have emailed our First Minister too. So email the Prime Ministers office. They will send it to the appropriate department. Mine made it to the PM desk and was used as a question at prime ministers questions in Parliament. Target that anger and things will get done. Don’t mess about with the monkeys. Go straight to the organ grinder.
    I’d also like to know if this dv organisation has a code of practice. They should have one that lists what they can do for you and what they expect from you. Placing a vulnerable victim of abuse with men is not right. Not telling you of the costs in advance is not right and expecting you to use money they you may need to flee again is not right. Rights of Women offer free legal advice. You can also get some free advice from a local solicitor.
    Please remember although you have had a terrible experience and that’s not right, there is only one person abusing you and that’s where the blame lies for that x don’t be distracted from that by everything else. It’s easy to take your mind off that fact and focus it elsewhere x anger is good. Things get moving when we are angry x

  • #104059
    Main Moderator

    Hi Milli,

    Sorry to hear all this. Just to add to KIP’s response that if it’s not your local domestic abuse service who’ve let you down you could contact them for some support/ advocacy with the council.
    You can find their contact details here:

    Take care,


You must be logged in to reply to this topic.


© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ Jobs

Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account