Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Lilia
      Participant

Hi there,
      I’m so glad I found this forum – I relate to so many of the experiences I have read about here.
      My husband has been emotionally abusive throughout our marriage. Now we have a (detail removed by moderator) child I see him becoming increasingly abusive to her… shouting and using an aggressive tone with her and telling her she’s bad. I need to get out for her sake. However, my husband is here in the UK on a spouse visa and I have no idea what will happen if i initiate a divorce… is there a xhance he could win custody and the right to take her back to his country when the visa expires? Or does he have the right to stay here indefinitely if I get custody? I tried to contact a dozen lawyers but nobody responded to my emails. Has anybody here been in a similar situation?
      Thank you.

Confused123
      Participant

Hi HUn

call womens of right they are a free legal advice line,, you need to find out where u stand in terms of your rights , another option is to book an appointment with a solicitor u may get 30 min advice free but i find a lot charge for the first hour as a consulation fee, but still try. call helpline and see which agencies can be refered to you to guide and support you..

Ayanna
      Participant

He might loose the visa if you divorce him.
      That is good, because then he might leave the country and you can live here peacefully.
      He cannot take your child. Make sure you leave to a safe place, such as a refuge, before he can do that and keep her safe.
      Get rid of him, let the home office deport him. You could not be in a more powerful position of making your life peaceful and beautiful for good.
      Do not feel sorry for him. He does not feel sorry for you or your daughter.

Rights of Women can also give you info about this.

Lilia
      Participant

Confused 123 & Ayanna,
      Thanks for your replies. It’s reassuring to know someone is listening.
      I will call Rights of Women tomorrow and see what they advise.
      Hugs x

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Lilia,

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find it a safe and supportive place to be. I am so pleased that you have had some good advice, Rights of Women would be a good organisation to contact as Ayanna points out (www.row.org.uk) but also the Helpline should be able to give you some advice on your situation as can your local Women’s Aid group which can be found in the ‘find help locally’ section on the Women’s Aid website.

We are all here for you so please find a safe time to call the helpline and let us know how you get on. You and your daughter deserve so much to live in a happy home, free from abuse.

Best wishes,

Lisa
      Forum Moderator

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content