Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Benson
      Participant

Hi, I just wanted to ask the question. With all the goings on I have been struggling to sleep, tried various things for relaxation and nothing seems to work. In desperation over the last two nights have taken strong painkillers to aid the sleep, something I know I shouldn’t do but really need to sleep to function at work and so I can look after my child. Over the past months I have really struggled to concentrate, I can’t read anything more than a short paragraph, my mind is constantly wondering, I find I am struggling to remember things, for example people’s names, things I have to do etc. I am struggle to focus on the simplest of tasks, including engaging in conversations at work. I am really concerned my work is suffering, I just don’t seem to be with it. Is this normal after leaving an abusive relationship, whilst experiencing on going harassment or am I going crazy? If anyone else has experienced this what can I do to help sort it out?

Borntobefree
      Participant

Hi Benson
      It’s perfectly normal to feel the way you do . It’s a very stressful situation I felt like this also .but I don’t work at the minute as I was signed off due to the mental stress
      Can you go to your GP and have some time off ?

KIP.
      Participant

Hey Benson you describe exactly what I went through. I was diagnosed with PTSD and it’s the trauma causing this. You’re not going mad your body is reacting to the stress it’s been under. There’s a book on YouTube audio book if you prefer. The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk. Explains our reaction to trauma. It would be good if you could get some proper counselling from someone who knows what they’re doing x

Benson
      Participant

Thank you KIP, I will have a look at the book, it might give me more information to why I am like this. I am still waiting for counselling appointment to come through, but may speak to GP next week to speed things up.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content