Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Lottieblue
      Participant

Last year I came on to the forum on Christmas Day to say that I’d never been unhappier.

This year, I’m on my own. I left my abuser and our three children are with him because they feel sorry for him.

I feel like I’m being punished. 😔

Hetty
      Participant

I’m so sorry you feel this way. This must be so so hard for you.
      You got out, you’re so brave and strong. I hate Christmas for the pressure it puts on us and how the picture perfect family day portrayed is nothing like the reality for so many of us. My mother said she had no space for me this year. Talk about being kicked when you’re down. Know your truth and your worth. Not manipulating to keep family members obligated and close. I hope you get through the best way you can and know better days will come. I’m looking forward to spring and lighter evenings. Christmas sh**mas! ❤️

KIP.
      Participant

Hey, I won’t see my children because of my ex either. It’s not much comfort but you’re showing your children that they don’t have to be around an abuser. Even if that abuser is their father. Eventually they will tire of his behaviour and recognise the harm he’s doing them and that it’s selfish. Sometimes that means we have to take a step back and let them go find out for themselves. You can bet they won’t be having a great time with him. My children blamed me I think for not staying with him which meant they had to deal with his behaviour. They seemed quite happy to allow him to abuse me. I think it just became normal. So they resented the burden he put on them. They will be making their own lives and doing their own things so this time is for you now. Chin up. It’s just another day x just one day of the year.

gettingtired
      Participant

Sorry to hear you’re having a bad time. Hopefully you can find something to pre-occupy yourself with tomorrow. I’m dreading it but like kip says it’s just one day then it’s all over for another year x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content