Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Ayanna
      Participant

Women are an enslaved population — the crop we harvest is children, the fields we work are houses. Women are forced into committing sexual acts with men that violate integrity because the universal religion — contempt for women — has as its first commandment that women exist purely as sexual fodder for men.
      Andrea Dworkin

Ayanna
      Participant

“We live in a world where men kill women and the motives are not personal at all. As any woman in this room who has ever been beaten or raped knows, it is one of the most impersonal experiences you will ever have. You are a married woman. You live with a man. You think that he knows you and you know him. But when he begins to hurt you, he does it because you’re a woman—not because you’re whoever you are.” ~Andrea Dworkin

A lady told me that men don’t like to be told what to do by women, they hate losing their freedom. So when Mrs replaces Mother, to them it is hell on earth.
        My own husband tells me I want to control him when I need to speak to him about solving issues with our children (washing up etc). He can’t bear being reminded of his duties as a parent and as a husband.

Ayanna
      Participant

“Woman is not born: she is made. In the making, her humanity is destroyed. She becomes symbol of this, symbol of that: mother of the earth, s**t of the universe; but she never becomes herself because it is forbidden for her to do so.” -Andrea Dworkin

Ayanna
      Participant

“I would like to see us stop trying to be so d**n civil to the people who are hurting us. I would like for us to stop thinking we need to prove anything to them. They need to prove to us that they can respect our lives enough to make social policy that stops battery.” –Andrea Dworkin

Ayanna
      Participant

“How can anyone love someone who is less than a full person, unless love itself is domination per se?”
      ― Andrea Dworkin, Intercourse

Ayanna
      Participant

“Being female in this world means having been robbed of the potential for human choice by men who love to hate us. One does not make choices in freedom. Instead, one conforms in body type and behavior and values to become an object of male sexual desire, which requires an abandonment of a wide-ranging capacity for choice…Men too make choices. When will they choose not to despise us?” ― Andrea Dworkin

This particular quote reflects exactly how my own father raised me.
        He often says to me ”it is not you who makes the cauldron boil”, his favourite expression to make me realise I don’t earn the main salary, so think about your feelings towards your husband as irrelevant and your duty to raise your children (finances are a key component) as your main duty and shut up!

Ayanna
      Participant

“Many women, I think, resist feminism, because it is an agony to be fully conscious of the brutal misogyny which permeates culture, society and all personal relationships.” – Andrea Dworkin

I read ”The Second Sex” by Simone de Beauvoir, an excellent book I would recommend.

When I told my father my husband was coercing me to perform masturbation on him, he laughed at me on the phone

when my father knew my husband was away on business, he would make disgusting comments to me on the phone saying that ”at the weekend it is going to be happy frolicking times in bed when he is back”

whenever I told my dad of my humble successes in my business, he would immediately advise me ”not to take on too much” instead of congratulating me, adding ”you would be better off cooking”

my father told me his son was his best success in life (having got him through university with a typical male career)

when my second daughter was born, he said on the phone as I announced her birth ”another p*sser” and forgot to congratulate me or tell me he was pleased I was safe and the baby too (emergency cesarean).

when my first child was born, my father was more interested in his job that in coming to meet his first grandchild and as I kept complaining he must come with my mum to see our baby before long, he said ”we all know what babies look like so it won’t matter if I don’t see her during her first few weeks of life”

when my first son was born, my father in law was pleased that ”now we have a spout to carry on the family name” to which I immediately thought to myself what about my own family name? My own husband never defended me, he just stayed silent after this awful remark was made, probably happy that he was the one offering a son to his own dad when his own sister had given birth to girls only…Imagine how my poor sister in law must have felt, thinking she had failed in that ”department”…In any case her name had changed when she married so no chance of offering a means to perpetuate this d****d family name.

when I discussed with my father how I was looking forward to raising my two daughters the same way as my sons, ie send them to university and give them all the opportunities they deserve too, he replied ”one knows that it is pointless sending girls to universities, they marry eventually and have kids so what is the point of doing that?” I told him how about people like Margaret Thatcher, to which he replied ”she is an exception, and a bad one too”

when I married I was told off by mother in law for wanting to keep my maiden name as a double barrel name, she said ”when a woman marries, she must take on her husband’s identity”, she told me I ought to feel ashamed. (it is however what women do in my country, the maiden name survives in official mail and in general mail too). I was not even given the right to respect and cherish my own culture.

when we had an opportunity to move to my country for work reasons, I was scolded by my mother in law who said nastily ”but you are going to take our son away from us”…I had already left my own country a decade ago at least, therefore my parents had ”lost” me too, so who was I making child-less??? My husband once again never defended me.

when I wanted to study for a second degree, my mother in law proclaimed in an equally nasty voice ”but how much are you going to cost my son?”, knowing full well I paid for his degree, his parents never did.

when I married, my father in law’s speech was ”today it has been made official, (my first name) is now a X-(their family name, my married name)! My whole family booed him…

When I tearfully complained to my parents in law that their son was sexually coercing me (masturbation) and it had been going on for years, they looked at me as if I was the pure Devil himself. They never had a private word with him to tell him to stop.

I was once told by my mother in law that ”a woman is always happy where ever she is, so long as she is with her husband”

my father in law told me in a nasty tone on the phone ”you shouldn’t be working! You are a housewife!”

The list goes on and on.

I found out from my younger daughter that her sister’s boyfriend asked her if she wanted to have some ”love time” at 11 pm before sleeping (this was happening in my house) as if it was something to be performed as an on and off switch, an occasional recreation. My younger daughter described what her sister had explained to her, the ”leading” to this sex request by her boyfriend, because she was upset and emotional. Men see sex as a recreation, a means to change the mood of the moment and ”feel better”. I felt so sad for my older daughter that this is what she experiences at the moment and we are having conversations about how she truly feels about him. She says she has to have wine before she can make love (if you can so much as call it love!). I feel so sad for her, all the more so as she confides more to her sister than to me.

My older daughter also got rid of her first boyfriend because she was asked to perform masturbation on him, and as she refused, he turned round to her and said ”I might as well go and see a wh**e then…” She was so young when she faced this kind of demand and reaction. Again I found out via her younger sister with whom she spoke about it.

Ayanna
        Participant

This makes me so sad, Bridget. Please guide your daughters on to a feminist path so that they can protect themselves.
        I hope your older daughter can remove her current bf from her precious life.

Ayanna
      Participant

Under patriarchy, every woman’s son is her potential betrayer and also the inevitable rapist or exploiter of another woman.” — Andrea Dworkin

Ayanna
      Participant

“To be rapeable, a position that is social, not biological, defines what a woman is.” — Andrea Dworkin

Ayanna
      Participant

“Marriage as an institution developed from rape as a practice.” — Andrea Dworkin

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content