Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Daff
      Participant

Does anyone else ever feel angry with themselves for staying. I’m angry I did things I was uncomfortable with, I believed that I was the problem if I did the things he wanted it would make him happy. I didn’t understand what I was doing wrong, how could I make someone so unhappy. What kind of person was I to make someone life so miserable. Do you ever fully move on from this, or does it ever creep back up on you.

Bananaboat
      Participant

Yes. My brain is unpicking everything in our relationship and my previous one and I get so angry with myself for accepting it at the time, what a waste of my life.

liftingthefog
      Participant

Yes completely empathise.
      I oscillate between anger and shame that I stayed so long, and anger with what he was doing to me and how premeditated on his part it all was.
      I be
      I believe what we are feeling is totally normal.
      Let’s try and forgive ourselves ladies, return the love we gave them towards ourselves and begin our healing journey.
      🤗xx

Ariadne
      Participant

I have definitely felt that, and I think now and again it comes back in different forms!
      It’s still a form of anger and guilt that we direct more towards ourselves than to the others… and I don’t think that’s exactly bad. It’s a way for you to now take those emotions and knowledge and grow, and do better in the future for yourself!

So take care everyone <3

nbumblebee
      Participant

Oh my goodness yes I am so very angry with myself dissapointed and ashamed.
      I wonder why i just cant leave. Xxxx

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Absolutely I do get angry and frustrated that I stayed and put up with his c**p for so many years. Working on this at the moment and the shame when I remember certain sexual stuff I did to keep the peace… grrrrr never again ladies x we all deserve peace and non of it was our fault ❤

Daff
      Participant

Its the sexual stuff, that really affects me. Things I did to keep the peace, things I did because I was making him so unhappy, things I did so he would forgive me. The silliest of things take me back and I forget how far I have come. I need to find the corner to take instead of going a round and around in circles.

Strongenough
      Participant

Yes I recently began to feel really angry at myself for not leaving sooner and that my child (now an adult) witnessed some of the abuse.

Someone on this forum gave me the advice that the shame and guilt should lie with the perpetrator. I felt that was sound advice.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content