Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Tiffany
      Participant

I am coming up to my first anniversary of freedom. I was quite excited about it. But as it has come closer I have found myself increasingly beset by terror. Is this normal? I have had a couple of minor flashbacks, but it’s mostly just emotional turmoil. I found myself in floods of tears on my way home from work tonight and I have no idea what the trigger was.

Janedoeissad
      Participant

First of all Happy Anniversary!! A whole year of freedom and look how far you have come.

I tend to find these days, the things which I would expect to bring me great joy, sometimes bring anxiety too. And I am learning that is ok, the anxiety tends to pass. Then the fun can begin.

I think its perfectly normal to feel the way you are feeling, and there are many potential reasons for it:

1. The mourning of the life you could have had if your Ex had not come along.
      2. The fear that after all this time, he might come back.
      3. The fear that you will somehow regress back to where you were a year ago emotionally.

Hope this is helpful, with only being close to my half year anniversary, I am not sure I am much help.

Big hugs

J x

cupofcoffee
      Participant

Hi hun, yes these feelings are perfectly normal, it is as if our brains need time to process the trauma to make sense of everything, it is like being on a roller coaster but it does settle down in time.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content