Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      iwillbeok
      Participant

Hi,

GP has suggested antidepressants – not sure how I feel about this. Not knowing what effect they’ll have on me doesn’t help. I want to feel happier but not sluggish and numb (?stereotyped). Any advice appreciated.

Iwillbeok x

I think it is quite hard saying no to antidepressants and going a more holistic way, with chronic PTSD et.c.

I haven’t taken them. I would rather not. But that is just me. I am sure they help some people. So no judgements at all from me.
      all best
      ftc
      x

anotherlife
      Participant

Same here ladies. I’m so low, due to constant anxiety from him, disliking & not respecting him anymore & disappointment that he comes home & I’m still with him, yes I know we should leave but we all know it’s not simple.
      More & more episodes just tipped me & so I went to the doc as I need to feel brighter for my kids. I had the prescription for 3 wks, didn’t want them, have in to getting the pills as despairing but still haven’t started them.
      I don’t think we should feel ashamed or anything for needing help & being brave talking / asking for help. But I don’t know what to do either, I’m worried they’ll make me feel worse for a while too.
      Good luck iwillbeok, let me know what you decide x

Tiffany
      Participant

I would try them. It’s not going to do any harm and if the side effects are unbearable then you come off them.

Honestly, my experience on them was pretty dreadful, but I wasn’t actually depressed when my doctor’s made me try them (the doctor had a theory that they might help with my underlying chronic illness, but they didn’t). But I have friends for whom they have been an absolute lifesaver. So I would always say try them. If the side effects are bearable then give them whatever length of trial the doctor suggests. If they are unbearable then come off them. There isn’t really any reason not to.

maddog
      Participant

I have taken some kind of SSRI pretty much since they were invented. It was the first time in my life that I felt something approaching human. Depression can be really physical. It really is horses for courses. My ex upped his rages. My gp has given me chemical cosh. A bit of anti-gloom meds might just lift you enough to see a way forward.

itwillbeokay
      Participant

I’ve never been on antidepressants before but my GP prescribed after my second visit to him since I left my husband. I’ve never felt the need to take anything before but this is the hardest time I’ve ever gone through and I need to be better for my children, I’m so distracted and confused and just not in the moment really so I started them a couple of weeks ago. No side effects but haven’t felt any benefits yet either but he said it would take a few weeks. He said to take them for 6 months to a year to help me through this difficult time.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Xx

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

When my anxiety and depression took over my life few months ago, I went to the GP and she prescribed me anti-depressant and I am so glad I took them. They calmed me down, helped me finally to sleep through the night, not having nightmares anymore and helped me reducing my anxiety during the day.

I would suggest taking them if you are not able to do the basics anymore; like eating, sleeping and if your mind is going completely crazy. It helps to calm down and relaxes the body until you get out of this rough patch. The mind doesn’t get foggy.

The effect will come after one week, small doses daily is enough. The calming effect is such that you are relaxed but also a bit sleepy in the morning. I made sure I got plenty of sleep, 9 to 10 hours at least, my body obviously needed the rest, I went to bed early to be able to get up in the morning. I drank two cups of coffee instead of one in the morning to help kick off the sleepiness.
      I took them for a few months then decided to stop because the side effect is that I gained weight, the metabolism and digestive system do slow down and I wasn’t feeling comfortable with my body anymore. It’s summer and I didn’t fit anymore in my clothe from last season. I needed to buy new clothes – one size up. My doctor told me that weight gain is a side effect so I was aware of it. It’s fine, I’m loosing the weight now slowly but surely.

Hope this helps & good luck with your decision, whatever you decide.

iwillbeok
      Participant

Hi and thanks for all your thoughts x

Have decided on a ‘wait n see’ approach. Will monitor how I’m feeling over the next while – I’ve lined up some more counselling, and am trying to on the one hand be gentle with myself and on the other be more disciplined. Trying.

When I’ve come out of a major slump before there’s been an aspect of euphoria as I would feel SO much better (and also better than when I was with him!). I wonder if this is my mind trying to estsblish a new balance compared to the rollercoaster of both living with abuse for so long (the cycle of relax/adrenalin/relax…), and of the trauma of getting free from him?

The divorce on the horizon now also is a stressor. The unknown outcome, the unknown c**p he may/may not try and land on me, having his treatment of me at the front of my mind all the time, ruminating over how to deal with his family (amicable between us), how the kids will cope through the process etc etc.

Iwillbeok x

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content