Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Optimystic
      Participant

Hello, I’m wondering about anxiety. During lockdown when abuse was magnified (although I didn’t understand what abuse was then), I felt a lot of anxiety. It was much better when he was back to work. He’s been at home all day just now and I had a terrible week with his behaviour, but coped. The past 2 days I feel crippled with anxiety, stomach churning, tight chest, massive feelings of dread like something terrible is going to happen. But today, I feel ok. Which makes me think it’s me, not because of him. Does anyone here understand that or what’s happening to me?

Watersprite
      Participant

Hey optimistic anxiety is so awful so I’m sending support. But it’s also a kind of normal response to abuse – you brain is heightened and stress hormones buzzing around because of the constant threat and constant eggshells from being in an abusive relationship. Does that make sense? The NHS and Mind have some tips on managing anxiety and could you speak to your GP? But perhaps it is your body telling you no one should live like this. Perhaps it is time to reach out for support and step into a drama free life. I’ve left – still experience panic attacks From ptsd and two horrible nights this week but they come and go now and my background anxiety is mostly ok. Best wishes tho and believe in yourself x

Optimystic
      Participant

Thank you so much Watersprite for giving me your support. I’m still struggling with the fact I’m in an abusive relationship. I realise that I’ve normalised it, just from reading the posts in this forum. I know now that I’m traumatically bonded. But, I don’t love him and a few months back all I could think about was him. How can he survive without us, how will he cope, he doesn’t mean to hurt us? But now, I feel different. I don’t feel this way as much. He’s oblivious, he just loves life! Me and my child are ok, but definitely not in a life we should be. My child worries me the most. He’s getting older and retaliating. This is what is causing me the most anxiety. I need to get us out right? This feeling I have is definitely a feeling of I need to do something? Oh I know I do xx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content