Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sadandconfused
      Participant

Just wondering if anyone has any good tips at all for getting through the process and not forgetting important details. I’m a bit worried that I will go to pieces as I have before and make a mistake or forget something vital under questioning from the barrister?

Ayanna
      Participant

The most important thing is to remain calm. Look into breathing techniques. Be conscious about your anxiety and suppress it until the hearing is finished. Write things down and and read them before you go into the hearing. Request a screen.
      A few days before the hearing go through everything, play scenarios in your head, think of questions you could be asked and your answers. I googled a lot to find out how the enemy lawyers behave in court and what to do. Take a friend with you. The worst time for me was when it finished. I regularly broke down. The court where the hearings started, provided me with support during the waiting time for the hearings. That was a blessing. In the other courts I never got support. It is worth asking if there are volunteers who could support you. They can go to the hearing with you and sit somewhere where you can see them. That helps a lot.
      The prosecutor will speak to you before the hearing. If you have any evidence you can give it to them or tell them or showm them.
      After the hearing, go somewhere nice. Do not go home straight away. Meat with a friend, go to the cinema, distract yourself
      I hope this helps. I tried to be as general as possible in order not to break any rules. I hope this is ok.

Winterblues2
      Participant

Really good advice. I really struggled as I broke down in court. If I’d have had stab as advice above I would’ve coped a lot better. Thank you ayanna I’m sure this will help her x

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content