Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Cherrycake
      Participant

Long story short, I was in an emotional, sexual and financially abusive relationship.
      He threw me and our child out and I am pregnant too.
      Normally I would end up running back being the one apologising as he made me feel I couldnt do anything without him. But I was too drained and decided to stay away. It’s been over (removed by moderator) months now and things are getting worse.
      The abuse he put me through has really damaged me, he is still trying to control me when it comes to our child and refuses to be involved inin our unborn child’s life.
      I have been getting online abuse from him, his family and even friends of his.
      Social services were contacted strailhead away and I have a support worker for the abuse. But now I feel ready to go to the police, I feel he needs to pay for things that hes done to me and oour child.
      What is the procedure? Will the police care? I don’t want to waste anybody’s time, but feel like I will regret it if I don’t.
      I really need advice on how to cope and get through this as I’m feeling rather alone.
      Thankyou.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I got my ex arrested.. hes been on bail since (removed by moderator) you can do it!! Xx

Cherrycake
        Participant

Did you go straight away…? It has been (removed by moderator) since we were together now and (removed by moderator)  sinice an incident that put our lives especially the risk. I’m worried I have left it too late and nothe enough evidence. But I feel like it’s the best thing to do.

Cherrycake
      Participant

Did you go straight away…? It has been (removed by moderator) since we were together now and (removed by moderator) sinice an incident that put our lives especially the risk. I’m worried I have left it too late and nothe enough evidence. But I feel like it’s the best thing to do.

Anonymous
      Inactive

No its very complicated! I feared for my life after he threatened my pet with knife actions. My story will be heard.. please take my advice and go.. things can get a lot worse .. least it will go on file hugs hun x

Confused123
      Participant

Hun

We all report when we ready, obviously the sooner the better, it took me over a year to report him , the police will take it seriously, sadly like a lot of them some of them get away due to lack of evidence, this applied in my scenario, but u know what it gives u closure too that u stood up to them

KIP.
      Participant

Cherrycake, I reported my ex and he was arrested. You can ring 101 and speak to a domestic violence officer. Keep abusive emails etc as there could be a crime there too. The police will take your statement and any evidence you have, then go and investigate. If there is enough evidence they will question him and possibly charge him. However, once you have made your statement against him, he is on the police radar. Maybe other women have already reported him and they can corroborate your evidence. Maybe the next partner will report him. You can also ask them to use Claire’s Law and tell you if he has any previous convictions or reports made against him. Your support worker could be with you for support. I don’t regret it one bit. He now has a criminal record and I held him to account. I dare him to try again😈

Grace
      Participant

I want to go to the police but I feel like I will be ignored and I don’t have enough or any evidence 😑

KIP.
      Participant

Grace, you wont be ignored. They will take your statement. If theres not enough evidence, at least they will have your statement on file for future. I dont regret it ❤️

Ayanna
      Participant

Report him. The police has trained DV officers in many stations.

Also speak to Rights of Women so that you know all your rights.

Stillsmile
      Participant

I was strangled, he broke into my house and was under terrible d.v.
      I have now took the step to report him, for a few reasons, claires law I might be able to save the next one, I have been treated so badly and still
      m. My son of (detail removed by moderator) seen me after being strangled,

I am feeling bad for the abuser but he never has done for what he’s done to me.

Indiamalachite
      Participant

Ive recently contacted police as in a similar situation. DV team very sensitive and have said it’s quite common as lots of women can’t report at time as in fear/controlled etc. She told me if it is a low level offence they can’t necessarily investigate after (removed by moderator) but it can be recorded if that’s what you want, but if it’s more serious and could result in a prison sentence there’ no time limit and they can still investigate and arrest etc. BUT she said they will always record it and listen and gives opportunity to tell them what happened and is helpful for future victims if anything comes up with other women. My experience of the police has been very good and they have taken it all seriously, even the more minor stuff. I am due to go in soon and discuss face to face and they said it’s up to me how to proceed so I am going to go and just tell them it all and if they do anything with it thats up to them. good luck.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content