Dragon
      Participant

Have to ask if they can go to bed? FFS šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

diymum@1
      Participant

yeh that one rings true lol xx

KIP.
      Participant

There were lots of strange demands designed to assert and keep control. Itā€™s not what he is asking rather itā€™s the fact heā€™s in control. Making you do stuff he commands. I had to tell him I loved him more. I had to give him sex twice a week. I had to ask to spend money or to go on holiday. It slowly creeps into your whole way of living. Insidious x

Goingmad
      Participant

Entitlement to sex yep that rings true!
      Rules about how the car should be parked!
      Sometimes though their demands are so bizarre you can only laugh ! One I ll never forget was the girls made bird feeders but they couldnā€™t be hung in the garden as that would attract birds and if there were birds then the cats would come in and poo in the flower beds šŸ˜‚ try to explain that to your child ! I think on this occasion I overuuled him but the saddest thing is that I thought he had a valid point!!!

KIP.
      Participant

Itā€™s incredible how our brains start to be altered into their thinking, such is the dysfunction of abuse. I began reality testing everything. I would have to ask friends and family members if this or that was right. I was even convinced in law he had conjugal rights. The lengths they go to is indescribable. It was either the threat of rape or agree he had conjugal rights. This kind of brain washing gets worse and worse until we donā€™t know up from down and right from wrong. What kind of a man doesnā€™t want to see his kids hang their bird feeder. That was all to do with control too. Asserting that heā€™s top dog such is their own insecurities. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Imagine being free enough to hang a hundred bird feeders and having a wonderful garden full of nature.

xxxxhelpxxxx
      Participant

Yep. And I canā€™t go to bed before him. And he doesnā€™t go to bed early! Although it has got slightly earlier. Used to be 3-3.30am now itā€™s 1.30-2 šŸ˜¬

Dragon
      Participant

This has got me thinking of all the ridiculous things I have been asked to do or comply with over time; asking if I can eat food that is in the cupboard, having words I am not allowed to use etc. And yes, I have to ask my friends/family all the time if this/that is right because I am so used to this version of ‘normal’ that it feels like I am the one in the wrong.
      Maybe we should use this thread to share the most ridiculous demands we have had to meet to keep the peace? Some of them are laughable (though I can’t recall any right now, will have a think!)

EbonyRaven
      Participant

I didn’t have to ask, however when I went to bed early I’d hear about how I abandoned him, and how lonely I made him feel, for days on end after.

Dragon
      Participant

Yes Ebony, that is more like it is for me too. I felt like it got to the point where I had to ask. I does specify that I have to ‘let him know’ but when I do this I know that he will get stroppy, and make me feel guilty about it, say I am putting my needs before his, tell me how lonely he feels etc. Before he has come up to bed with me, we were talking but I didn’t want sex and when he knew that wasn’t going to happen he just went downstairs again, not even thinking about how that might make me feel.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The sex thing is an issue for me too- he wonā€™t demand it as such but if I donā€™t do it for say 2 or 3 days running heā€™ll start making out that he never gets sex anymore and that I obviously donā€™t love him and then sometimes go and sleep on the sofa in a sulk ! Itā€™s so pathetic and at the time I kinda feel guilty but then when I think about it Iā€™m sure this kind of behaviour isnā€™t the norm in most stable relationships xx

KIP.
      Participant

Sex must be given freely without fear of consequences or coercion. Otherwise itā€™s rape or sexual assault. Nobody in a loving caring relationship would even consider having sex with someone who clearly doesnā€™t want to. Have a look at the Thames Valley Video on YouTube about sex and a cup of tea x very enlightening. It really doesnā€™t matter how bizarre their demands were, for mine he would simply change the goal posts. I became obsessed with cleaning the house because a lot of his abuse was about how untidy the house was. I thought if I cleaned obsessively, the abuse would stop. It didnā€™t. He just abused me about something else. They donā€™t even remember the demands they make. I was desperately trying to meet one set of demands when he just forgot all about them and moved onto something else. Dysfunctional destructive behaviour. I changed the things I watched on tv. My taste in music. I couldnā€™t work. It really does destroy our sense of self and self worth. And they do it deliberately x

Anonymous
      Inactive

Kip the house tidying thing rings true for me- Iā€™m constantly anxious over the state of the house so he doesnā€™t tell me what a disgusting s**t tip it is (itā€™s never that bad either just typical home where children live !) I donā€™t stop tidying !x the more I hear others similar stories the more it makes me realise how bad it all is .. I just wonder why so many men seem to act like this ? Itā€™s not as uncommon as I thought judging by the amount of people using this site for support. x

JustKeepSinging
        Participant

It’s just all part of everything isn’t it? I never ‘had’ to ask to go to bed but I used to do it anyway because I couldn’t deal with the grump I got otherwise. Also if I went to bed early he would then come in later and expect that I left the light on – then he’d shower, bang about or start chatting to me etc etc but yet if I stayed up to try and get stuff done he would turn the lights off and I had to creep around trying not to disturb him.

I think the cleaning thing is not only about trying not to ‘upset’ them but about control – I felt like if the house was clean and I’d done everything I had control over something (although I didn’t really because I had to fit the cleaning around him and his schedule).

I’m in the early stages of out and I’m looking back on every element of our life together and really seeing it now and it’s b****y frightening. I can’t believe how much control he had over everything. I never thought I would ever get myself in that situation šŸ™

Dragon
      Participant

I think what I have found is that one thing on it’s own doesn’t seem that bad but when you add up the whole picture and realise that things that made you feel uncomfortable but never even thought of as abusive were all part of the pattern/cycle it makes you view everything very differently which I have struggled with x

Anonymous
      Inactive

Dragon I know just what you mean – itā€™s one of the reasons I found it hard describing my issues to the lady at womenā€™s aid who I phoned – because individually these problems sound insignificant but itā€™s the accumulation of things that makes it so bad ..itā€™s so complex and hard to describe sometimes until you really think about it all and remember all the sh*tty things thatā€™ve happened x

Dragon
      Participant

Yes, precisely. It feels like part of what makes you feel you’re going crazy, you wonder whether it is you getting upset about it that is wrong or their behaviour. Then them being nice and you forgetting it all and thinking you were making it up. So confusing. X

Anonymous
      Inactive

Definitely- it makes you doubt everything. I sometimes think itā€™s all me and that I just over-react or take things the wrong way but I know that nobody else ever makes me doubt myself or feel this way so it must be him X

Dragon
      Participant

Yes, that is exactly how I feel x

Escapee
      Participant

Oh ladies! Yes! That was my relationship all over! My daughter told me to sit down and stop trying to find something to tidy – I didn’t need to do that anymore; I could just sit and ignore that bit of fluff on the carpet – easier said than done however šŸ™„. And the sex thing! Why on earth would we want to have sex with someone that makes us feel second rate and inadequate in every b****y way! And my bedtime was the other way around. He used to dismiss me!
      Thank you for reminding me why I left!

Starry
      Participant

Oh yes! An accumulation of many things – one big thing of his is the car – we have one family car which is parked on the road outside our house, he is obsessed with keeping it in the same spot, even tho itā€™s a public highway and anyone can park there. He didnā€™t like me going anywhere in the evenings, including taking the children to activities etc in case we lost this space. He wouldnā€™t tell me not to go but if I did and that space was occupied on return heā€™d have a major strop and it would be my fault for using the car, and it made me wary of using it. He installed cctv and would sit for hours watching someone elseā€™s car. He would put letters through neighbors doors, I found this out when I found a reply posted back through our door. Car keys would regularly go missing and he would blame youngest child…

Dragon
      Participant

Oh man, that has reminded me of mine, we have a drive but even when he is at work he won’t let any members of my family park on the drive, if anyone was parked in his space when he got home he would hit the roof to the point if my Mum was visiting, I would make her park on the road because I was scared he would come home whilst she was parked on the drive.
      Also, cups. I am not allowed to drink out of any of ‘his’ mugs or glasses. I mean the absolute brazen disrespect! He bought me an extra mug so that if my other one is dirty I have another one to drink from. So thoughtful.

Starry
      Participant

Itā€™s so ridiculous! Btw when I began working and needed the car for work he hated me working and it would cause a lot of stress, he banned me from working evenings. As soon as I had scraped enough money together I bought my own car. The ā€˜familyā€™ car is still sitting unused on the road outside our house, He wonā€™t sell it but is having to pay tax and insurance cos I cancelled it. (I paid to run the car). I think he is just leaving it there so no one else can park there šŸ™„

Dragon
      Participant

šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø think you’re probably right by the sound of it!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ā© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England ā€“ Womenā€™s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Womenā€™s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions ā”‚ Privacy & cookie policy ā”‚ Site map ā”‚ Protect yourself onlineā”‚ MediaĀ ā”‚Ā Jobs ā”‚ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content