Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      FruitLoops
      Participant

Omg I’m really struggling with my IBS at the moment, and it starts to get better then another incident occurs or he starts again and my stomach starts to churn again and I am back taking my IBS meds! At the moment my IBS is almost constant, I’m trying not to freak out that it’s something more sinister, it’s just my dbody reacting to stress, anyone else struggle with IBS/stomach symptoms?

Sorry for too much info!

FL x*x

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi FL, oh yes my stomach is in knots with him at times. That feeling just below your ribs, the utter excrucisting pain of it, the churning in your Lower tummy. I have a congenital bowel problem, was always led to believe it was ibs, but it’s not. But apart from that our stomach knows when things in our lives are not as calm as they should be. I think that’s where the phrase “gut instinct” derives from. It might even be a precursor to his b..w ups. Keep a note of how you feel like this and how soon after he goes off on one.
      IWMB đź’•đź’•

diymum@1
      Participant

have you heard of the term psychosomatic? its stress induced physical symptoms – people get IBD mixed up with IBS. IBS is physical but yes IBS is triggered by stress x*x

diymum@1
      Participant

that didnt make sense IBD is purely physical xx

diymum@1
      Participant

if you were looking for signs – red flags its old blood in the stool,changes to bowel habit so constipated to loose, losing weight not knowing why, anaemia, family history of bowel cancer, smoking and drinking are pre-cursors, feeling full after eating small amounts of food (early satiety) things like that, so try not to worry its anything sinister bowel cancer is really rare in the younger population – and it is largely treatable – it wont be that it will be the stress i promise xx if your worried id go to the gp to let them know how his behaviour is affecting your health xx

FruitLoops
      Participant

Thankyou! I am hoping it’s just IBS – the doctor has told me this and said I don’t show any “red flags” but it’s hard to stay calm and rational when my anxiety is sky high permanently and that triggers my worry. Xx

FruitLoops
      Participant

And thankyou IWMB that’s great advice about making a note to see if there’s a link. I’ll do that! Xx

KIP.
      Participant

Hi fruitloops, I just wanted to say I’m sure your IBS is linked directly to your abuse, you seem to admit and accept this yourself. However my thoughts are that his behaviour is causing you physical symptoms and your medication will treat the physical symptoms but you’re not addressing the cause of the IBS which is your abuser. I may be stating the obvious but for decades I treated the symptoms and they got worse and worse, while the cause went unstopped. It destroys your physical and mental health. I don’t know what stage you’re at with your abuser but learn from my mistake (and that of doctors). It was never my health problems to fix it was getting rid of the cause, my abuser. I can tell you I haven’t seen a doctor for years. When I was with my abuser I was never away from my GP x I just didn’t connect my physical health to abuse until it was too late x

diymum@1
      Participant

I know too that hypnotherapy can help a lot with IBS. I agree with the above abuse equals ill health. It shifts the balance wiothin our immune system. I don’t think a rheumatologist or GI doctor recognises this at all? perhaps in America xx

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content