Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Footballfan1
      Participant

I know it’s silly and trivial in the grand scheme of things, but I like to understand why I’m dreaming certain dreams.

During the processing of the trauma, I understood my dreams.
      They started off as ex being centre stage, abusing me, shouting at me , frightening me.
      I get that my brain was making me process the abuse.

Now I’m past that, my brain has shifted and I’m not sure about my dreams anymore.

They are extremely busy, all about going out with friends, but look at my watch all the time wanting to get home to the kids.
      Work, really busy, not having a moment to stop.

Even my old job, in my dream I was training someone, I gave them a massive task that is normally sectioned over a week, I gave them the whole lot to do in one day.

I’m going from one place, to a different place, not stopping.

Sometimes my work and home life blend, for example, my kids are at work , my work stuff is at home.
      I wake up feeling like I’ve ran a marathon!!
      It’s not stressful or anything, I’m just trying to work out what it means.

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Hi Footballfan1

I am not claiming to ‘be good’ at interpreting dreams or anything, but due to having such dramatic and intense dreams myself was interested in hearing your experience.

I do wonder if you read back what you’ve written whether it gives you any clues, whether anything jumps out for you? Often in speaking a dream it can help to make it clearer what it means to you.

There was an obvious disconnect when I read it, and that after describing a very intensely hectic lifestyle, which would stress anyone out very quickly, you say you were not stressed, it wasn’t a stressful dream for you.

You also talk of how there were no boundaries, that your children appeared inappropriately at work, and work was part of your personal life, and you were overloaded yourself and overloaded a member of your team. That speaks of me of quite a clear reflection of processing what you’ve been living like for so long.

To me, personally, reading it, it speaks of dissocation (the calmness in the face of work/life/children breakdown, where all normal boundaries are missing). It could also be speaking to you of the internal stress, bodily stress that your body may still be holding, whilst consciously you have made a massive shift in feeling mentally calmer.

Its very easy sometimes to discount the extent to which physicality will impact our dreams, a simple analogy being, dreaming of searching for a loo, when your body is telling you that you actually have a full bladder and need to wake up to relieve yourself! 🙂 Sometimes I’ve experienced medications asserting a calming affect on me even in the worst of dream/nightmare scenarios, so if you take any meds those could be bringing the calm to the hectic scene.

However, your dream is about what it means to you, how it leaves you feeling, and undoubtedly you are still processing much. So, anything I’ve had to offer can only be my own interpretation or thoughts on what you’ve said, so only meant as an offering of other perspectives on it, which may or may not chime with your own feelings and sense of it.

He’s absent though, and his absence in your dreams must surely be a huge leap forward, that your thoughts are now turning to the more normal stuff of life which you’ve had to juggle hard for so long.

Aren’t dreams fascinating though? (Once the perp has left them, before not so much).

warmest wishes

ts

Footballfan1
      Participant

Thanks TwistedSister,

You are actually an excellent deam interpretator!!
      That all makes total sense.

I have been juggling a lot, and it has come across in the dreaming.

We are breaking up on Friday for Easter break, I’m making sure we don’t have too many plans.
      It will be nice to do what we fancy instead of being tied to commitments.

You are right, the absence of him in the dreams is a good sign.
      Xx

Twisted Sister
        Participant

Hoping for relief from pressures and some serene holidays for you all. Have a wonderful time together (with a loose agenda!).

warmest wishes

ts

Twisted Sister
        Participant

I had wanted to say also that wanting to seek sense from your dreams is far from silly, or in any way irrelevant. Its a vital part of our processing of our experiences in order to settle them and move on and have distance in time and emotionally from them. I wouldn’t advocate deeply analysing all dreams, but sometimes when a dream causes these questions to be raised in us, I think it is relevant and necessary to use the dream as another tool to understand and process a little bit more.

Anyway, yeah..thats it

Footballfan1
      Participant

Thankyou TwistedSister,
      You make total sense.
      I agree with what you say.
      I never used to pay too much attention to dreams, but since splitting with ex, they have been so realistic and vivid, I feel like they are real life at the time.
      My dreams, I used to know they were dreams.

My youngest has already asked to bake a massive cake, gingerbread cookies, my eldest wants to go swimming and cycling.
      Quite a mixture there!
      I on the other hand want to crack on with our garden and veggie patch.
      Kids are excited about this too.
      They eat everything we grow and get excited when things turn ripe for picking.
      Small things like that are magical x*x

Twisted Sister
        Participant

all that sounds amazing, and a huge shift into absorbing yourselves in the things you love and can share as a family. Growing stuff is so great for kids, and it can perform miracles when encouraging eating your veggies!

sounds so happy, have a wonderful time together.
        ts

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content