Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Surviving
      Participant

I’ve seen the news about the new bill being introduced about financial abuse being taken more seriously now. What does this mean. I can proove he financially abused me. It wasn’t taken serious before but will that change now

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Good Morning Surviving,

Please have a look at the link for the new Domestic Abuse Bill 2019-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-abuse-bill-2019-factsheets

The government should now be more in tune to financial abuse and the implications of it. Your local Women’s Aid group should be able to help you gather evidence of it. For example if you didn’t have any debts before your relationship with him and if he encouraged you to take out loans or give him money which then damaged your financial credibility. Another form of evidence could be something like if you lived together but you had to pay the majority of the bills. Or if he didn’t work and relied on you for financial support therefore limiting your resources which in turn limits your capacity to escape the relationship.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Kind regards,

Lisa
      Forum Moderator

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content