Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Serenity
      Participant

I used to be very creative, but when with him my trauma got so bad, I wasn’t able to do any in the end.

I had a lot of counselling when we separated, and sometimes I think I may need to return to it someday – especially if he ups his abuse- but for now, I’m finding great comfort and release in creative activities, in a community setting.

I attend a local group which I found on a national community website, and that’s lovely: we do different activities each time, and we are constantly topped up with tea! It normally costs very little.

Then I got a letter through from Family Support telling me about various initiatives for families and some for women in particular. One was an art group to help women build their confidence.

I went along and it was great. It was free, there was an art instructor tor there plus a Family Support worker, and we all dived in and got engrossed in a two-hour project, chatting as we went along, drinking endless tea.

I’m sure using that part of your brain helps with trauma. I always come out feeling much more balanced and relaxed, and like I’ve expressed myself through the art. It’s a real release. Focusing on colours, textures and creating things of your own is both therapeutic and empowering, and it’s lovely to do it in a group of women who you know have been through hard times.

If you fancy something like this, it’s worth trying to find out if your local Family Support unit offers anything similar, or google whether there’s any community arts initiative.

I think these activities are helping me more than counselling may right now, as it represents time where I’m building myself up-
      – yet in a supportive environment.

Lightness
      Participant

Hi Serenity
      I think you’re absolutely right
      At the very least being emersed in doing something we really enjoy gives our minds the chance to experience something really positive rather than the circular thinking over and over about the abuse which can retraumatise us. I suspect there is something deeper as well. The connection with like-minded creative people also sounds very positive
      Lx

Serenity
      Participant

You’re right, Lightness,

When I did the Pattern Changing course, they spoke about the need to ‘replace’ your abuser with something else- to not allow him to continue he to live rent-free in your head.

If course, each of us has our own rhythm and time scale x

Serenity
      Participant

You’re right, Lightness,

When I did the Pattern Changing course, they spoke about the need to ‘replace’ your abuser with something else- to not allow him to continue he to live rent-free in your head.

Of course, each of us has our own rhythm and time scale x

Dragonfly
      Participant

I’m quite a creative person and particularly like up cycling furniture. However that all seemed to grind to a halt whilst I made sure his every need was being met…..so now (detail removed by Moderator) months out and I’m looking round my flat to see what needs done, going to the second hand furniture place tomorrow. I need a chair to upholster!

It’s strange that he encouraged me to keep on with my hobbies but I was somehow never allowed to do them. Madness!!

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

I’m also a creative who virtually stopped creating during my abusive relationship, despite his apparent support and encouragment. I started bringing around my supplies to his place as he used to get agitated if I didn’t go round there several evenings each week and night time is when I usually create. It’s been lovely getting back into it since I left, although I have found I haven’t been creating as much lately, a bit of a creative rut. I used it a lot as therapy immediately after leaving to express all of the painful emotions and it really helped me.

Dragonfly I’d love to learn to upholster furniture, what a great hobby!

Ladyglittersparkles
      Participant

Here’s to creative therapy!
      Ive got a fab project that’s coming along well.
      A tiny campervan. Reupholstering all seating. Re carpeting. Painting inside. So many craft ideas. Its something I’ve always wanted to do. Its been a huge part of my healing.
      I’ve dreams of sunset beach views. Reading a book or more crafting. Candlelit yoga by the sea.
      I feel I’m working through my issues and working towards freedom.adventure.
      Creativity nourishes my soul. I feel free spirited

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content