Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      RedGiraffe
      Participant

So I’m due back at work this week and this means I now don’t have to seen HIM until the weekend because of our hours! 🙂 a long period and won’t be the same again (only for this week) but it’s still something!

Feeling good today… looking forward to getting back – did anyone disclose to their employer? Should I ? Excepting what this is has been a long difficult road but now I know and there’s no going back I don’t know who I’m suppose to confide in *face palm*

Wants To Help
      Participant

Depending on who you work for / size of the company / type of business etc I’d suggest you tell your immediate line manager / supervisor and/or the HR department.

Over the last five years there have been an increase in women murdered at their place of work following her leaving an abuser so I do think it is a good idea that your employers can help you with safeguarding. Should your abuser turn up to see you, or be hovering in the car park etc then they can let you know, ask him to leave, or call the Police. If they still think you are a ‘happy couple’ they may welcome him in to wait!

The ladies who were murdered have worked at supermarkets, department stores, travel agent and hairdressers – all places to where the public have easy access. If you are not in such a prominent point of public contact you should be safer, but you could still be at risk or harassment or stalking on your way to and from work.

Also, most businesses are now quite hot on ‘Health and Wellbeing” and are promoting all things to do with Mental Health Matters campaigns, Menopause etc, so I think being clued up and supportive on DA is very important in this area too. Some businesses I know have been very supportive with their staff when it comes to DA and have allowed the business offices to be used for the lady to have appointments with the Police, or make solicitors appointments in work time so that she can seek this advice in her normal working hours and not have to find time outside of work which would attract suspicion with her abuser wanting to know where she was. This was also useful for a lady who had a tracking app on her phone because she was able to leave her phone at work whilst she went off for a solicitors appointment and when her abuser checked up on her location it just looked like she was at the office.

RedGiraffe
        Participant

Thank you, I have let someone I work very closely with know already however thinking about it it’s probably wise to let my manager know as well – as you said I never know when I may need to make a phone call and work time is a safe time/ place to make a call.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content