Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Waving not drowning
      Participant

Hi everyone

It occurred to me that my husband uses victim blaming to justify his behaviours. Once he has finished verbally abusing me he then notches it up and says things about not everything being a personal attack on me (even when it was a blatant and clear personal attack on me) and that I love being the victim.

My question is I guess, is this typical in abuse situations? I think I’m still wrestling with acceptance this all abuse and it’s not me being an over sensitive s****y wife…

Watersprite
      Participant

Yes – this is typical abuser behaviour. It’s gas lighting and crazy making keeps us trapped and in fog Fear Obligation Guilt. You are here on a forum for domestic abuse….. it means deep down you know but perhaps you are not quite ready to own it and that is normal too it’s part of a process. It may help to read up on trauma bonds and emotional abuse. Ask yourself if his behaviour is how the best man you know would treat his partner? My guess is no. Start looking at his behaviour like a critical outsider – it gave me clarity. Take care – baby steps x

Bananaboat
      Participant

Yes unfortunately it is very typical. When it stopped working on me my ex started talking about other ppl he knew or in a generic way about the exact same things, which took away my ability to say I’m not those things but he was always saying them as digging at me, Or they play the victim is another, sudden illness or threats of suicide so you’ll stay and care for them.

Eggshells
      Participant

Yes, it’s normal. He will blame everything on you including the choices he makes to abuse you. If he can make you believe that you are being over sensitive, playing the victim, whining, etc, then you are less likely to answer back and argue next time. He is trying to silence you. That way he can continue to abuse you, unhindered.

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Yes this is abuse, gaslighting makes us feel crazy, your husband is keeping you in the FOG (Fear Obligation Guilt, it is a cycle, worth googling). Keep writing incidents down in a diary/journal, it really helped me see my husband’s patterns of abuse… financial, emotional, physically intimidate me puffing up and punching objects, he went on to do the whole victim story to cover his tracks and to pull me back in. It worked a couple of times, I manages to separate on the 3rd attempt.
      If you can maybe contact your local Womans Aid, read up on DA, watch pod casts on DA (Dr Ramani is good).
      Sending love and strength ❤

Twisted Sister
      Participant

if he’s not giving you answers that make sense, its him, not you…

Angelicdev
      Participant

Thus was so helpful I also doubt that i am incorrect as a wife. He said (detail removed by moderator). Thing is he’s so likeable, more than me to the outside world. Which makes me think uts more me. Would another woman not push him to do things.

redred
      Participant

Oh I get eye rolling if I try to say he’s being hurtful. And I’ve also had things like (detail removed by Moderator) just makes you feel powerless to speak up doesn’t it

Anonymous
      Inactive

Unfortunately yep! It’s very typical and I’m so sorry you had to endure it too. My ex’s go to would be “here we go again – you make everything about you” after a horribly critical attack. Usually followed by a take down of my flaws… and then how I need to focus back on him and his needs.

So yes – a way to keep you on the back foot and maintain control over your self perception and flip the narrative.

Figured out almost anything he accused me of was pure projection. Indeed turned out everything was almost always about him

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content