Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Lionessriseup
      Participant

Hi ladies,
      I’m new here and was wondering if anyone has experience of leaving a rented flat with joint tenancy, and universal credit.

So I have been in a emotionally abusive marriage for many years. I have 2 children, and we packed our things and moved in with relative and friends. I continued to pay half the rent and bills the whole time we have separated but I cant afford to continue to do so. I need a fresh start. I contacted the housing association, but no to remove my name off the lease, so he can be solely responsible for the rent. They have not got back to me. Now I have other expenses like childcare, and really struggling financially. My question is, should I continue to pay, so it doesn’t go onto arrears, or just cancel the direct debit? Also, if I apply for universal credit, which address should I use? My family or my old place as all my bills and statements are in that address?
      Thanks in advance.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello Lionessriseup,

Welcome to the forum! I’m sure other users will be along soon to offer some advice and support but in the meantime I just wanted to direct you to a couple of organisations who may be very well placed to help with the situation you’ve described.

Shelter are a housing rights and homelessness charity. They provide support and advocacy to anyone experiencing housing issues and have a helpline where they can offer advice over the phone: https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

Turn2Us are a financial support service. They have a lot of useful information on their website, as well as a benefits calculator. They also have a helpline where they offer advice and support over the phone: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Get-Support

Take care and do keep posting to let us know how you’re getting on.

Lisa

Lionessriseup
      Participant

Thank you Lisa. Its a super scary time, and im full of anxiety about what happens next. I left the property in during the summer and have sofa surfed until eventually moving in with my family. I cant afford to keep paying rent and bills. I just want to start again, save up and rent somewhere.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content