Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • #131810

      Hi ladies,
      I’m new here and was wondering if anyone has experience of leaving a rented flat with joint tenancy, and universal credit.

      So I have been in a emotionally abusive marriage for many years. I have 2 children, and we packed our things and moved in with relative and friends. I continued to pay half the rent and bills the whole time we have separated but I cant afford to continue to do so. I need a fresh start. I contacted the housing association, but no to remove my name off the lease, so he can be solely responsible for the rent. They have not got back to me. Now I have other expenses like childcare, and really struggling financially. My question is, should I continue to pay, so it doesn’t go onto arrears, or just cancel the direct debit? Also, if I apply for universal credit, which address should I use? My family or my old place as all my bills and statements are in that address?
      Thanks in advance.

    • #131828
      Main Moderator

      Hello Lionessriseup,

      Welcome to the forum! I’m sure other users will be along soon to offer some advice and support but in the meantime I just wanted to direct you to a couple of organisations who may be very well placed to help with the situation you’ve described.

      Shelter are a housing rights and homelessness charity. They provide support and advocacy to anyone experiencing housing issues and have a helpline where they can offer advice over the phone:

      Turn2Us are a financial support service. They have a lot of useful information on their website, as well as a benefits calculator. They also have a helpline where they offer advice and support over the phone:

      Take care and do keep posting to let us know how you’re getting on.


    • #131830

      Thank you Lisa. Its a super scary time, and im full of anxiety about what happens next. I left the property in during the summer and have sofa surfed until eventually moving in with my family. I cant afford to keep paying rent and bills. I just want to start again, save up and rent somewhere.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ Jobs


Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content