Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hello there ladies – I am several years out, but still suffer excruciating painful levels of anxiety and hypervigilance, which makes everything more difficult.

Our local health centre had closed down and then changed management. Due to bad experiences there I was really reluctatant to go, but managed to get telephone appointment with G.P and then went in to have my blood pressure checked, with a view to picking up beta blockers from G.P.

I’m sorry to say I had most horrendous nurse who really upset me. Tried to take my blood pressure twice and it really hurt. Then ‘told me off’ and was really abrupt and said it was ‘way higher’ than earlier this year and I couldn’t have beta blockers; Then went to see G.P on reception and came back saying I could pick them up.

When I got home I thought it was really bad service and was upset for 24 hours but then decided to write in and complain very politely, as the nurse didn’t even deign to tell me what my blood pressure reading was in the first place. And I mentioned that the procedure was really painful and I didn’t understand why (had she pumped it up too much?).

Went home with the beta blockers, didn’t take them at first as I had read through the side effects which can include night mares and since I was getting nightmares anyway on a regular basis thought it would make things worse.

But I have an event to go to today that is sending anxiety levels through the roof so have now taken one.

I am considering going back to private G.P next week. I know the service should be better on the NHS but not sure if I’m strong enough to fight for it…I have had shed loads of counselling the past but I guess at the moment going through a rough patch…

I generally tried to take a holistic approach which I prefer, but since I had a back issue this year (better recently thank goodness) – not so easy to do my usual anxiety prevention stuff. Also had sehd loads of anti-social behaviour in the street which has freaked me out no end over time (I have reported it through appropriate channels).

Any thoughts? How long do these things take to kick in? Can go back to private G.P next week for second opion/guidance…(can’t really afford the sixty quid) – but have had so many negative experiences now…with that surgery…
      Thanks
      ftc

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi (detail removed by moderator) tell them that your not happy with the attitude of your nurse that saw you. Under the NMC code of conduct she hasn’t treated you with dignity. If you mention the GMC to the medical profession they will soon change there tone with you. Im not sure about the beta blockers but someone should sit down and counsel you properly on the medication you are taking. Look up GMC or NMC code of conduct it is there duty to be more helpful than this xxxx
      DIY

Thank you so much DIYmum I really appreciate this. Thanks for the helpful comments and advice.
      all best
      ftc
      x

Anonymous
      Inactive

your welcome any time 🙂 xx

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Hi Freedom,

Are you in the catchment area of any other surgeries? It sounds like the one you’re registered with isn’t very good given your several bad experiences with them. I have done this twice now – registered at a practice and realised it was awful then registered somewhere else and got much better treatment.

At one of the rubbish surgeries a doctor said to me ‘and what makes YOU think you need CBT?’ angrily and aggressively to me when I’d been referred by a counsellor after being diagnosed with depression. She seemed absolutely crazy. Then years later in a different area at another practice the receptionist accused me of missing appointments that I didn’t even have! She was always rude and overall an absolute cow and I just suddenly realised I didn’t have to put up with that so moved surgeries and registered at a much, much nicer surgery with lovely doctors and better receptionists. One of these old rubbish surgeries has now been shut down because it was investigated and deemed to be failing which just proves we’re not imagining the poor treatment.

Obviously if you live in a remote area it might not be possible to move but do look into this before going private. Also keep complaining and see if they have different drs and nurses available if you are not happy with the ones you’ve already seen. I am not keen on several drs at my new surgery but there are a couple who are ok so I stick with it for now.

Do you have any other techniques for dealing with anxiety and hyper vigilance that don’t involve anything strenuous (since you mentioned your back)? Such as journaling, painting, meditation, sewing, knitting, yoga, walking or whatever your hobbies are?

Anonymous
      Inactive

It’s such a shame that our NHS is on its knees but the doctors do get paid really well. I always tell myself that when I not sure about ascerting myself. In the health sector it’s the squeaky wheels that get oiled. Don’t be shy to let them know what you feel that you need for your health. That’s what there there for its their duty of care by law to provide that. Keep persevering and don’t tolerate poor professionalism. I wonder if it’s because they read our records and see that we are victims of DV were not seen as survivors. We’re then put in a box and seen as weak. We won’t stand up for what’s rightfully ours which is good health care, it’s actually our human right. Sorry this subject really is close to my heart. People with bad attitudes shouldn’t be given the responsibility of looking after people if they can’t fulfill that role.Don’t stand for it’s It makes me furious Rant over sorry lol xxxx

Ayanna
      Participant

The pain from the blood pressure measurements comes from the strong cuff inflation. When your blood pressure is high the cuff inflates more and that can really hurt.
      The nurse should have explained that to you.

I wonder whether beta blockers are the right treatment for you.
      You should get your blood pressure treated and usually that is done with amlodipine as a first line medication.

They could think of a different medication for your anxiety or even better, send you to therapy.

Thanks everyone. I am working my way through this one, bit by bit.
      will keep posting with more thoughts when I can. There are so many insights from ladies on here on this thread so thanks everyone it really helps.
      all best
      ftc
      x

Wanted to say also, totally get the point about things that we do to manage our condition(s).

Over the years I have developed a few things, like journaling or studying, the latter I don’t feel able to do at the moment.

I am not sure at all, actually about medicalising my disability/condition. Actually I feel I am experiencing delayed grief responses (which is what PTSD is, in essence). There is none of the counselling I would want to have available in my area. I know about CBT – the first wave of it has never worked for me and I used compassionate mind approaches in my journaling etc. However, I feel it would be helpful if practiioners actually acknowledged the bare facts, i.e. that dealing with all the practical aftermath of d.a. with or without a child can be difficult, even years on, and in fact exhausting.

I was hoping the beta blockers might be a partial solution. But so far this year actually the most helpful thing was to use some of my disability money to get a carer/cleaner in weekly. It made me feel for a time that I wasn’t on my own, or isolated with the shed loads of housework e.t.c I inevitably need to do.

What I find really difficult at the moment is the pressure from the government on the benefits system. I’ve had about twelve so called ‘assessments’ over recent years and it is almost as if you get criticised for even trying to live a decent life. i.e. if you manage to go shopping occasionally or make a meal for your family you are deemed as being able to do it all the time. There are so many things I have difficulty doing now, that ‘normal’ people take for granted. And chronic conditions are exhausting.

Sorry, I sound depressed. Maybe I am at the moment – or maybe just very tired. At least, unlike some we have a secure tenancy – even if there are issues in the street…which worry me. I’ve manage to scale down what I am doing over the next few weeks, as far as possible.

Re: changing surgeries…yes, I had thought of this, but others are a bus or taxi ride away. The advantage of the private one – which I have booked an appointment for (I can still cancel if needed) – is that the customer service is good and I can ask for documentation/notes printed out which they send in 24 hours. The so-called ‘service’ at the NHS surgery is so far away from that it is untrue.

I have another assessment coming up in a few weeks and I don’t want to make things any more difficult than they are just because someone is not doing their job properly.

The complaint asking for an explanation for my treatment – I sent quite a number of days ago by registered post. No reply, yet. No phone call. I’m fed up of speaking to them so think I will just try to have the weekend off. and try again on Monday…

all best
      ftc
      x

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content