Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

… We’re free now.

I knew things were not right for a good while, but it took the increasing discomfort I felt listening to The Archers to make me realise that I was in over my head – drowning.

I spent too many years trying to manage an unmanageable relationship, trying to cope with an utterly unreasonable man, wishing & hoping it would get better.

I know now it never would have done.

A waste of energy and time …

… or maybe not, I’ve learned so much, not least that I am strong, kind and still unbroken 💖

So thank you to Womens Aid for helping The Archers with a storyline which had the power to change my own and my children’s lives 😊

S xx

godschild
      Participant

Yes I listen now , but there is little justice yet with what Helen has gone though so far, do hope he will be caught out in the end of the storey and that it raise spublic awareness. I know a lot of donations were made to refuge due to it. On the down side many lisateners stopped listening as they said it wasnt appropriate for the Archers , they dont realise it happens eveywhere x

Anonymous
        Inactive

Those are all important points, Godschild 😊

The lack of justice – and the length of the process – can happen, so needs to be shown.

I think the ppl who switched off are telling us they can’t cope with abuse being a fact of life. By ‘making’ them switch off they’ve been forced to acknowledge coercive control is a real problem (albeit one they’ve chosen not to learn more about).

They says there’s no such thing as bad publicity. IMO it’s got ‘middle England’ talking about something they’d like to believe is a working class issue. Now they know it’s not – as we know, abuse crosses race, gender, sexuality, wealth, etc.

S xx

Hi, is the program still available to listen to now? X BJ

Serenity
      Participant

Bridget,

Google BBC iPlayer – Radio 4 catch up X

Peaceful Pig
      Participant

I have also found the story line very helpful in terms of validating my experiences, with some scary similarities, and helping people I know to understand better. When I listen, I think “there but for the grace of God go I”. It could’ve ended so much worse and I’m so grateful I got out in time xx

Twisted Sister
      Participant

I hadn’t realised WA were involved in tgis storyline but I am not surprised! Itsbeen done so well including all the family andfriends that didnt ‘get it’ at the time and the mostDifficult of issues thatthe survivor is being made to answer for crime against abuser . So complex. I coudnnlisten to some of it but have been tuning in with interest to the court and post care processbfor her and her child/ren now that he has his hands on her child

Brilliant profile raising ofthe class-spanning issues . Helen well represents the difficulties experienced in speaking about this type of messed up trauma

Just awesome radio 4 and WA Deserves awards .

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Has anyone seen the recent Telegraph commentary on the divorce and DV announcements. (detail removed by moderator)

All the usual victim blamingetc from much press but telegraph chose to use these responses to point outthe classic reaction of press to dv!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content