Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sparkle wand
      Participant

I just thought I’d post this incase it helps anyone. I heard about a book by Andrea Mathews it’s called ‘letting go of good’ & it addresses some of the beliefs listed below. For me the beliefs listed below are huge & I think they keep me stuck & add to my desire to understand/make sense of & look for answers. I’ve just ordered it from Amazon and it will come this week.

. Always be kind.

· Always be forgiving.

· Always be faithful.

· Be loyal.

· Turn the other cheek.

· Give them the benefit of the doubt

· Do not judge.

· You are selfish if…

· Do your duty.

· You should love them unconditionally

I will let you know how I get on with it. I’m hoping it will help me tackle some of these beliefs that keep me stuck & add to my feelings of guilt & responsibility 😞

SingleMomSurvivor
      Participant

Thank you for sharing! This sounds like a good read. I will check it out.

Sparkle wand
        Participant

Singlemomsurvivor, that’s ok I just thought a lot of us could probably relate to those beliefs regarding our partners and others. I’m curious to see if it helps me as I am a rescuer x

Twisted Sister
      Participant

all very laudable aims to have…until you are with an abuser, and switching them off because the rules change when you realise you are with the enemy can be very hard.

I would still like to be supportive/kind/helpful and loving, but…to those deserving of it, not those who seek to abuse.

all those beliefs need challenging, and fit into relationships that are not abusive.

ts

Sparkle wand
        Participant

Twisted sister- I totally agree it’s not about getting rid of those beliefs entirely. I guess it’s about making sure we’re not completely governed by them so that we are taken advantage of, if that makes sense 😊

Twisted Sister
        Participant

yeah, thats what I was saying I think.

Having the enemy in your camp changes everything, and those rule no longer apply.

I hope you find it helpful

ts

Sparkle wand
        Participant

Thank you, I’m open to anything that might help me heal 😊

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you for sharing Sparkle wand. I can definitely relate!
      I think I’ll be ordering that book.
      I hope it helps xx

Sparkle wand
        Participant

Ocean, thank you I hope it helps too x

StrongLife
      Participant

Books are good and have ideas. It’s difficult to know messages and have them changed overnight.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content