Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      moongazinghedgehog
      Participant

Hello ladies,

I’d just like to recommend a book that I have read recently that many of you could find helpful. It really helped me and the lady who wrote it is very kind and understanding. It’s called Trauma and Understanding by Judith Herman.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Thank you Moongazinghedgehog, it’s always great the have a recommendation of a good domestic abuse book.

Best wishes

Lisa

godschild
      Participant

I will look at that , there are some books I would like to recommend, I highly recommend Shattered Glass by Victoria court, this is the best book written in such detail of the emotions she went through even after her perpertrator was made to leave, awful physical abuse towards a disabled lady, her account gives practical advise, emotional insight help, and much more.
      Then there are Patricia Evans books which give great insight into what goes on in the abusers mind and lots of advise for the Victims, she has written several books , the verbally emotional relationship, the controlling person, if you google Patrcia Evans and Domestic abuse you should find them.
      Also Lundy Bancroft why deoes he do that is very enlightening, he tries to help perpertrators and give great insight on how they behave and their tactics. I have also recommended on another thread two books written by ex abusers, yes it can happen sometimes, thy are emotinal abuse the silent killer of marriage buy Austin James I found this book excellant and the other is Angry men and the Women who love them by Paul Hegstrom, he was emotionally abusive, physically abusive and he actually divorced his wife by telling lies and she had no idea he had done it, they were apart for 7 years and then got remarried, all good reading to help give insight and help, many many books have helped me to clearly see what is going in in my relationship and empowerd me to see it clearly.

Will look it up!

As we’re on the book subject – I bought Jerk Radar by Stephen McCrea which I thought was really really good – it’s about how to stop an abusive relationship before it starts, and how to safely challenge behaviours you don’t like the look of. It’s a good one to read when you feel ready to dip your toes back into the world of meeting anyone new! It even has a ‘test’ in the back…which I do swear by.

And Evan Stark is simply amazing, I find myself nodding along with everything he writes…his book on coercive control is in my wishlist online!

CutieSunshine
      Participant

Has anyone read no contact like a boss ? Or end of the fairytale by Susan Williams

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content