Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Secret6
      Participant

Looking far into the future here but…
      I have savings. It may be enough to buy a small apartment in the region where I am, but I will certainly be able to afford to rent. I’m retired and have a small pension and will probably have to get a job, but not straight away.
      How does this work if, for example I’ve left and don’t actually have a fixed address at the time, or don’t have certain documents with me? I’ve really no idea because I’ve only actually owned anywhere when my mother died and I inherited her flat which I sold. I’ve never rented or bought a property myself. I read somewhere that you have to have some sort of proof of where your savings have come from. Mine are what I’ve saved regularly all my life for over 30 years,plus redundancy, inheritance etc. but I’ve no real records.Clueless.

spiritedaway
      Participant

hi secret6 – proof of where the money has come from could be as simple as providing statements for your bank or savings accounts

Secret6
        Participant

Thank you. I get that but if I leave in a hurry then I won’t have those. I’ve been thinking as long as I’ve got my passwords etc then I can just access my money. I haven’t got statements and stuff because I never thought I’d need them. Stupid, I know.

spiritedaway
        Participant

as long as you have the passwords etc you’ll be able to get new copies, you can always request them and the banks I have had to deal with since leaving have had a special team who are trained to support DA victims, if you google you may find a direct number or ask to be put through if you are able to. I found them very kind and supportive

Secret6
        Participant

Oh that’s really helpful, thank you so much. There’s so much to think about.
        Thank you

spiritedaway
        Participant

I know its so hard to think and remember things when we are dealing with everything. My brain aches so much so its great to have people here to check with

browneyedmum
        Participant

To 2nd this, I was speaking to my bank’s special team yesterday who… while they couldn’t solve my issue, they did flag up the account and were very understanding and supportive.

Often banks’ online facilities will let you download statements to reprint as well. Mine happens to go 6 years back, which is very handy … even though I’ve made copies to put on a cloud drive.

Secret6
        Participant

Yes, thank you. I might try to download, maybe pay for extra cloud storage for everything I need

Dovegirl
      Participant

Hi there
      I think all you’ll need in regards of any documentation is things like a bank statement. Any estate agent, solicitor etc will just want proof of the funds you have to either buy or rent.
      Just something to bear in mind when the time comes.
      Take care xx

browneyedmum
      Participant

Also, some banks will offer what is called an “Agreement in Principle” online if you are looking to obtain a mortgage. Its a light touch on your credit account, but then you receive a soft offer of what the bank is willing to lend based on the information that you’ve provided to them.

In my case, I’ve got a bank who’s phoning me next week to discuss the details.

StrongLife
      Participant

Hi,

Seek help from a domestic violence advocate and figure out paper needed. I got out with what was in my purse. I then rented house with paperwork I got later on – it just takes a call.
      The advocates will help – they deal with this all the time. Women get out with very little information at times.

Secret6
        Participant

Thank you. I will

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content