Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Lilypink
      Participant

After completing a rehabilitation programme successfully, in the eyes of the authorities, my ex is now being given more time with our child, unsupervised, working towards overnights. I feel anxious about having to split my child between two homes, especially since its been just me for a long time. I worry that our child will prefer spending time with him and his family, who are larger than mine, but also a great sense of sadness that our family unit broke down and that my child doesn’t have the both of us together. I’ve had extensive therapy and attended women’s groups to help me process my trauma and get my confidence and sense of self-worth back, but the issue of how I view him and feel about him keeps cropping up in my head.

I want to try and move forward from viewing him as the same person who abused me, to help me cope with the changes that are about to happen with our child. Am I just kidding myself? It is very difficult at times, mainly because he’s never really communicated genuine remorse for what he did to me, during the relationship, but also his mission to continue to break me down afterwards. Likewise, none of his family ever genuinely reached out to me or my child after we left home, they believed his lies about me and cut me off and I find that very difficult to deal with, because now my child will be spending more time with them all.

Have any of you had positive experiences with your ex after they’ve completed a perpetrator programme or is it just a myth?

diymum@1
      Participant

Was it a perpetrator program for a number of months? They say this can change them but they have to admit to all their wrong doing and actually see how to change their behaviour. Did you get any feed back from the program? Might be useful for court. I’d still say if he does get over nights stick to one overnight a fortnight xx the shame is his family haven’t learned how to change. If contact isn’t working for your child you can reign the contact back in again xx

Lilypink
      Participant

Thanks for your reply diymum x Yes I guess I’ll just have to gage how the contact goes. It was a 6 month programme. I heard snippets of the report via the social worker, but ideally I would like to read it for myself if that’s allowed; I’m not sure if it is.

maddog
      Participant

wertyuit

maddog
      Participant

There is no evidence that perpetrator programmes actually work. The leaders of them like to think they do, but often as not they are good at teaching abusers to be better at abusing.

SS told me that my ex was in too much denial for a perp programme to have any effect. Keep a very close eye. 6 months isn’t long to change the habits of a lifetime. Becoming an abuser starts far earlier in life than most addictive behaviours, and most people are unable to change.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content