Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ribena
      Participant

Can you move on with your life when you live close to your ex? I left my abuser (detail removed by Moderator). He is the father of my children and we live very close to each other as I thought that would be best for the children. It’s definitely not best for me. I have to see him a few times a week to facilitate child contact – he has supervised contact with me the supervisor. I have no family or friends close by to do this instead of me, and I didn’t want to use a contact centre and freak out my young kids.

I’m finding it hard to forget the abuse and am having flashbacks. I thought it would be easier when we split up – and whilst I don’t have the regular abuse now (there has only been a little since we left) I am finding it hard to move on and forget. I know I need counselling.

Do you think you can ever move on from it when you live in the same small village and still see them? I’m thinking of moving back to where I grew up where my family and friends are but I’m so worried of the effect this will have on my children as it will mean moving schools and it’s a long way from their dad. That’s the only thing holding me back, otherwise I’d be gone in a flash.

Amaguq
      Participant

Hi Ribena,
      I can relate to your words, I live very close to my estranged husband,so close that I can see his car in the driveway, he’s driven passed me when I have walked to the shop, we share the same supermarket, doctors, dentist, my heart skips a beat every time I see a car of the same colour/model.

I haven’t got the answer, I can’t afford to live else where and it means that I am close to my children (they live with him in the family home)

I highly recommend counselling, WA have helped me immensely.
      Best of luck 🙂

Ayanna
      Participant

Speak to Women’s Aid.
      If you can you should move away.
      Do everything that is best for you.
      Make yourself the priority.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content